Help Needed for Stupid Mistake!!

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Help Needed for Stupid Mistake!!

Permanent link to this post Posted by Maia » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:52 am

I am using Audacity 2.0.6 on my Mac OS Sierra.

I recorded an interview earlier this week and left the file open without saving it. Come today, I am starting a new project and a message pings up for the old project asking if I want to save any changes. Like an absolute FOOL, I said no. Totally forgot what the file was. Is it now lost forever? Can I retrieve it?? Answers in plain English appreciated as I no longer trust my ability to comprehend or responsibly use a computer.
Maia

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Help Needed for Stupid Mistake!!

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:56 pm

If it's still open now, can you Edit > UNDO?

Once you close Audacity, it wipes all its background saved work. In MacOS and Linux, that's the end.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Help Needed for Stupid Mistake!!

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:11 pm

The project is gone. Once you closed the project the menu bar collapsed to File, Window and Help - no Edit, no Undo. Closing a project also clears the temp directory. Opening a new project starts a new undo chain.

Please update to the latest version of Audacity, available here. It won't help you when you close a project without saving, but it has many significant improvements.

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Return to Mac OS X