Need Help Using Audacity with Wikoo Tape To MP3 Converter

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Need Help Using Audacity with Wikoo Tape To MP3 Converter

Permanent link to this post Posted by solgar1970 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:27 am

Hi there. This is my first (and hopefully only) thread.

I had purchased a "Wikoo Tape To Mp3 Converter" off of Amazon recently, to be able to record off of a cassette tape, and convert it to an Mp3 file on my laptop. Audacity was the recommended software to use with this particular tape-to-Mp3 converter. The instruction manual that came with it was fairly useless. It gave no helpful hints or settings on how to record music from the Wikoo Converter onto my MacBook Air laptop. I had downloaded the most recent version of the Audacity software (version 2.2.2) for my Mac (I have a MacBook Air, running on OS 10/High Sierra). I had also followed a link and downloaded and installed the "Lame converter", whatever that's for.

I put in an old cassette tape (that plays perfectly) into the Wikoo Tape To Mp3 Converter (for brevity, I'll just refer to it as the "Wikoo Converter" or just the "converter"). I plugged the USB cord from the converter into a USB port on my MacBook Air. After inserting and rewinding the cassette, and making sure that auto-reverse was enabled, I then adjusted the volume on the converter to all the way UP. I also made sure that the volume in the Audacity software (version 2.2.2) was also turned all the way UP. I then pressed "Play" on the Wikoo Converter (there is of course, no "Record" button on the converter device). Just before the song started to play, I selected the red "Record" button on the Audacity software (as instructed in the Wikoo Converter's instruction manual). While the tape was playing (and I could see in the software's display window) that the E.Q./volume equalizer was registering the volume or recording from the cassette tape. Since the cassette tape won't play aloud in the converter device, I listened in on the plug-in earbuds that came with the converter, to make sure that the tape was playing at the correct speed and volume. It was. I waited until the tape had finished recording on both sides, and then selected "Stop" in the Audacity software, to stop the recording off of the cassette tape.

When I went to play the newly recorded track back, all the recording played back was the ambient background noise made in the room, NOT the music from the cassette tape. The tape is a (formerly blank), Maxell uncopyrighted/unprotected tape, so it should've had no trouble recording. So, basically the recording on the cassette tape wasn't recorded into the Audacity software, and all that the Audacity software recorded was the ambient background noise in my living room.

Is there some setup or settings that need to be enabled or disabled in order to record off of a cassette tape with the Wikoo Converter?? Could someone please list them step by step in case I am missing something? Thanks very much. :?

P.S. Attached is a screenshot of the current settings.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 10.17.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 10.17.48 PM.png (196.73 KiB) Viewed 539 times
solgar1970

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Need Help Using Audacity with Wikoo Tape To MP3 Converte

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:00 am

Look at the Recording Device setting in the Device Toolbar in your screen shot - it is set to "Built-in Microphone". Change it to "USB Audio CODEC" and you should get a recording. If "USB Audio CODEC" is not available, click on the Transport menu select Rescan Audio Devices.
While you're at it, click on the Transport menu, go down to Transport Options and make sure Software Playthrough is checked - that way you'll be able to hear what is being recorded.
You may find the Audacity Manual helpful. You can access it from the Help menu in Audacity.
-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:04 am

solgar1970 wrote:... I plugged the USB cord from the converter into a USB port on my MacBook Air ...
... all the recording played back was the ambient background noise made in the room, NOT the music from the cassette tape.

Recording device should be USB thingy , not "built-in microphone" ...

You want USB something as recording device, not  ''built-in microphone''.png
You want USB something as recording device, not ''built-in microphone''.png (56.06 KiB) Viewed 535 times
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by solgar1970 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:47 pm

I can't change it change the setting to "USB Audio CODEC". For some reason, I can't seem to change the setting for Recording Device in that toolbar. When I highlight it with my mouse, it won't give any other option to select. The software runs fine otherwise.
solgar1970

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:26 am

Apparently the Wikoo comes with software on a CD-ROM disc , (that will contain the driver software).

Wikoo wrote: Wikoo USB Cassette Converter Cassette Player ... Product description ... CD-ROM for installation ...
... If your laptop or PC doesn’t have a CD-ROM, contact us and we'll send you a digital copy.
https://www.amazon.com/Cassette-Converter-Wikoo-Earphone-Portable/dp/B0769HPFXK

Once the driver software is installed then you should have the USB option as a recording device.
Trebor

Permanent link to this post Posted by solgar1970 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:16 am

The CD ROM that has the software the came with the device is on a mini disc and will not fit into my CD drive without breaking the drive.

I've already downloaded the recommended drivers online, unless there is another driver location online that I need to download and don't know about.

Does anyone have a link to this driver??
solgar1970

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Please have a look at this page.
The first step is to connect the cassette player and make sure the Mac can see it.
-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:16 pm

solgar1970 wrote:I've already downloaded the recommended drivers online...
Job done then.

solgar1970 wrote:... unless there is another driver location online that I need to download and don't know about.
one is sufficient.
Trebor

Permanent link to this post Posted by solgar1970 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:58 am

"Job done then??" That doesn't solve my issue. Can someone please help me resolve this??
solgar1970

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:53 am

solgar1970 wrote:That doesn't solve my issue.

It's not clear what your issue is, though from your last post I take it that there is still a problem?)

Let's try a check list:
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Next

Return to Mac OS X