Audacity does not detect external speakers

I’m running Audacity 2.2.1 on my new MacBook Pro running MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.3 (17D47).

Audacity does not detect my LG TV speakers. The Mac is connected to the TV via an HDMI cable. No matter what sequence I connect the cable, start the Mac or start Audacity, Audacity does not detect the speakers. I only see Built in Speakers and Display Port in the speaker drop down window. I’ve also tried Transport/Rescan audio Devices, but no change.

The old version of Audacity on my old MacBook Pro (now sold) using the same cable and to the same TV equipment always detected the speakers.

The Mac to TV connection via HDMI does work as I can play and hear YouTube films etc through the TV speakers.

Any suggestions?

In System Preferences > Sound > Output, do you see the TV? If not, then Audacity won’t see it either.
– Bill

Thanks Bill. That’s embarrassing. I knew the speakers worked as I could get sound from YouTube videos. But I took a look at your suggestion, System Preferences > Sound > Output and as I thought, the LG TV was there, under NAME. But under TYPE was DISPLAY PORT…which I knew was the 2nd option in the Audacity drop down window.
And of course, when I tried Audacity using the DISPLAY PORT option, it worked.
In the old version of Audacity, the drop down window used to show LG TV…so when the only option was now DISPLAY PORT, I didn’t know what that was. I should have tried it.

Thanks again for your suggestion Bill.

Glad you got it working.
– Bill