Low RMS levels

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Low RMS levels

Permanent link to this post Posted by NilaJean » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:48 pm

omg, of course, blades, age is showing
NilaJean

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:00 pm

"Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha,
Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive."

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by NilaJean » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:04 pm

Did you know that the beat of that song is exactly (or so) the same you should hum to yourself when doing CPR? True fact, learned it getting certified.
NilaJean

Permanent link to this post Posted by NilaJean » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Okay, back to an answer to your question for the forum. You asked how I got out of the wine glass/rain barrel.

I just finished editing/mastering (she said, understanding the utter foolishness of an inexperienced newbie even presuming to use those words), a chapter that had to be piece-mealed together from multiple recordings, (hard drive wiped clean, files lost) ergo, a variety of volumes, levels, and sounds. I believe I was successful because of the settings you gave me to use, particularly the RMS Normalized.

Each individual recording section passed the ACX tesst, but they were not cohesive when strung together. I took each disparate area, put it through the RMS Normalize (-19) (when the volumes were too low), followed by Limiter. and finally Noise Reduction (9, 6, 6). Made an excruciatingly long final review using High Pass Filter to soften the far too numerous p, b, and some t pops, and then, if necessary, expanded the sound waves to a point were I could isolate the worst culprits and take out one Hertz? Anyway, 21 minutes that pass even my OCD tests. Even getting better at re-recording a word or a sentence and sliding it into the original sound track almost unnoticeably.

Author happy, (low standards), Narrator happy, (standards getting very high), Tutor happy?
NilaJean

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Author happy

Works for us.
passed the ACX tesst, but they were not cohesive when strung together

ACX Check is a technical standard. It is designed to help you pass the ACX "Robot," generally the first inspection your submission hits when it arrives.

This process helps filter out people who submit technical trash. To their credit, ACX will usually try to suggest corrections along with the rejection.

But after that, the submission goes to Human Quality Control [Dum Dum Dummmmmmm]. There, the work has to be entertaining and theatrically correct. This is where unmatching chapters, sibilance city, echoes and cellphone voices go to die. HQC's standard is listening to somebody telling a fascinating story in real life over cups of tea. P-Popping and other distortions need not apply.

You do have to pay attention. One poster got bounced when she submitted work with the wrong amount of silence in the chapters. Fortunately, that's between you and the client.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Previous

Return to Mac OS X