Unable to export (wav, mp3, OGG) file from Audacity

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Unable to export (wav, mp3, OGG) file from Audacity

Permanent link to this post Posted by bosali » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:09 pm

billw58 wrote:I'm at a loss. The only thing I can see is that I'd expect a "d00" folder inside the "e00" folder. Your project may be toast.

Do you get a warning about "missing block files" when opening the project?

-- Bill

I don't. I was able to open the file from the desktop but now cannot play the track even in audacity - it seems to drop off certain tracks at seemingly random times.
bosali

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:57 pm

bosali wrote:
billw58 wrote:Do you get a warning about "missing block files" when opening the project?

I don't. I was able to open the file from the desktop but now cannot play the track even in audacity - it seems to drop off certain tracks at seemingly random times.

That is a symptom of missing block files, although I don't understand why you don't get a warning.
Do you have a Time Machine backup? I think that's the only way to salvage the project - go back to a state where all the AU files were there.
-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by ndpaoletta » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:23 am

Hi there - I just wanted to share that I was having this same issue (Audacity 2.2.1, Mac OS 10.13.3) and it was driving me crazy. This was the only thread I could find with the same error message I was receiving (the "File Error - Audacity failed to read from a file in /Users/location", I actually moved the file around and it errored in multiple file locations) - but I did find a workaround that isn't great but it saved my project, and depending on if anyone comes across this in the future maybe it'll be something you can do.

As far as I can tell this error means that there's some kind of corruption in one or a handful of individual .au files. I was actually able to isolate the area in my Audacity file where it would throw me the error - I used "Export Selected Audio" and found that I could export the first 10 minutes, and then everything after the 12 minute mark, but not the 10-12 minute span. The nature of my project was such that I could clip that out, save the file and then it would export normally. I actually recorded a new bit to insert in that gap and it's been fine since.

I don't know if that will help figure out the bug but at least it's a strategy to try and salvage a project if anyone else runs into this!
ndpaoletta

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:33 am

A bug has been discovered in Audacity 2.2.1 which can cause data loss if you overwrite the project using "Save Project As..." (rather than the normal ""Save Project...")
The bug has now been fixed.

It is highly recommended that all users update as soon as possible.
Audacity 2.2.2 is now available via the Audacity website: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by paige_ninguru » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:31 am

I had the same issue earlier but it was fixed. I know the workaround sounds weird, but it worked: I downloaded the LAME zip file (from here: https://lame.buanzo.org/#lameosxdl) instead of dmg, Audacity was then able to locate the file and extracted my files as MP3.

I have no idea why, not sure if it'll work for you but it did for me, hope it helps.
paige_ninguru

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:56 am

LAME is required to export MP3. See here for more information: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_ ... .html#lame
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Previous

Return to Mac OS X