USB connected mic to Audacity for MAC

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
BonnieO
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: USB connected mic to Audacity for MAC

Post by BonnieO » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:12 pm

So you're saying the Samson may just be a "hotter" mic too, like the Snowball, producing louder recordings?

BonnieO

Post by BonnieO » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:17 pm

And are you disapproving of my doing Noise Reduction Profile and then Noise Reduction for the mouth sounds?

You don't like "Amplification" either?

What about "normalize"?

I'll send you one more recording with the mic stand on the carpet after the construction ends outside.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:18 pm

And just to wear my obsessive engineer hat for a minute. The microphone has natural, internal noises, too (ffffffffff), so you can't whisper into your beer, even in a studio.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:22 pm

the mouth sounds?
That's different. There are other tools for that such as De-Essing and De-Clicking.
You don't like "Amplification" either?
What about "normalize"?
Normalize and Amplify are sisters and do the same thing but with different adjusting techniques.

I need to leave for a while.

Koz

BonnieO

Post by BonnieO » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Ok. After you talked about "hot" mic's, I did some searching it seems dynamic mics all push a little lower volume.
So I will not send back the mic.

I WILL do what I can to reduce the noise.

I'd love you tell me about the de-essing and de-clicking and whether I should deal with noise reduction at all now that I know about the refrigerator, etc.

Or should I forget about noise reduction as well as amplification and normalization?

Have I thanked you today?

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:06 pm

I'm in the field and can't be wordy or verbose. I don't think De-Essing, etc is a normally available tool. I need to find them.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:47 am

You can't forget about Noise Reduction. Your natural recording environment demands something be done to reduce background noise.

Your noises happen to respond to custom, by-hand reductions, plus stiffer than normal Effect > Noise Reduction plus the rumble filter as part of the regular AudioBook Mastering Suite.

You're trying to record quality voice in the middle of a boiler factory.

I think this one is current.

http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic ... 49#p245549

Noise Suppression affects sibilance, so don't even think of correcting wet mouth noises before you resolve noise.

Special, custom, RMS-Normalize was designed to conform your work to one of the audiobook standards, pretty much no matter where you start from. People using the AudioBook Mastering Suite are warned not to ad-lib, leave things out or put extra stuff in. Each step is attuned to the others and all work in harmony.

It doesn't work particularly well in your case because you're recording in a boiler factory.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:52 am

Nobody wrote you have to record right there. At work, I had one conference room that was really quiet and I had a very strong request to get in there if I had an important recording. There was a storage closet on the ground floor that produced good recordings—as long as you didn't need more than two people in there. Piles of expanding files, legal documents and cardboard boxes along the walls make terrific sound proofing.

One of the forum posters "broke into" her office after everybody went home and they turned off the noisy air conditioning. It wasn't convenient, so she stopped doing it...but it worked.

Koz

BonnieO

Post by BonnieO » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:47 pm

So if we could just keep this simple, after I've done all I can do to physically adjust the environment:

which AUDACITY EFFECT or other tool are you suggesting I use to eliminate any remaining noise and/or rumble?

And then for the saliva clicks?

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:40 pm

after I've done all I can do to physically adjust the environment:
Then you perform another 18 second test run and post it. I'm customizing and posting detailed corrections to the recording environment. Generic corrections don't work for you.

Once we succeed, you can't change anything.

There is an obsessive comment here. If you change something that makes your environment quieter, then some of your corrections may not be needed, and it's best not to apply any more patching than you need. But that's splitting hairs.

After you apply the custom corrections to your target performance, then you can mess with sibilance, click and smack corrections.

I know they seem like noises to you, but those are Performance problems, not Recording problems, and I didn't hear any serious problems in your posts. It's possible to listen on speakers or headphones that boost mouth noises artificially and the generic audience won't care. You never said how you were listening.

And that's when you wander out of my world. I'm not a Wet Mouth Noise Elf. Baby steps.

Koz