Clicking or crackling sound in audio recording

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
amyleo
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Clicking or crackling sound in audio recording

Post by amyleo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Hello,

I am recording a podcast and cannot determine the source of a clicking or crackling sound. I've attached an example. Does anyone know what this is called, and/or how to prevent it?

Part of the challenge is that it is difficult to recreate because it often happens over an hour into recording. I get started and think I'm good to go, and then listen later and notice it started happening again. This leads me to believe it could be related to latency, but I can't recreate it by opening all of the applications on my computer, dozens of web browser tabs, etc. I'm recording at 16-bit PCM and Mono, 44100 Hz, industry standard for podcasts.

Here are the details of my setup:
- Shure SM58 microphones
- Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 Preamp

But, this also happens with by Yeti Blue Microphone, so I don't think it has to do with the microphone.

I'm using a brand new USB cord and tried jostling it to see if its a connection issue. Doesn't seem to be.

Any ideas? Please help!
Attachments
Example of Clicking.mp3
Here's an example of the clicking or crackling sound
(383.67 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

Jasta204

Re: Clicking or crackling sound in audio recording

Post by Jasta204 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:40 pm

I'm new to Audacity and am experiencing the same issue as Amyleo - attaching a sample as well. (Amyleo - I wish I could be of assistance!).

Here's my setup
mics: 2 Shure S58's
mixer: Yamaha MG10XU
(connected to Macbook Pro via USB, running OS 10.11.6)
headphone amp: Pyle PHA40
headphones: 2 AT20x's, 1 Bayerdynamic DT770

I've been Google-ing for the past two days and can't find a solid ID of the issue or how to fix and prevent it. Any assistance would be *most* appreciated!
Attachments
audactiy_clicking_sample.mp3
(131.72 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

billw58
Forum Staff

Post by billw58 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:34 am

Try the recommendations on this page in the manual and let us know if they help.
-- Bill

amyleo

Post by amyleo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Thank you, I've tried all of these things, except for antipop, and they are not helping. The issue is still present. Any other suggestions?