Adjusting Recording Volume

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Adjusting Recording Volume

Permanent link to this post Posted by brbrown » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:58 pm

I am using iMac OS High Sierra 10.13.2 and Audacity 2.2 to record a vinyl record to CD connecting with a Behringer UCA222 unit. The Recording Meter toolbar shows the recording as being too hot and clipping is occurring. The Recording Volume shows Disabled and tells me to use the System Mixer. I have tried to do this via Applications/Utilities/Audi Midi but can get no further. Could someone please advise me how to adjust the Recording Volume to stop clipping please?
brbrown

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Adjusting Recording Volume

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 pm

Since the UCA222 sends audio to the Mac via USB, there is no way to control clipping by way of settings on the Mac. The input to the UCA222 is too high.

Please describe in detail the chain of equipment, from the turntable to the UCA222.

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:54 am

There is probably something else going on. A simple turntable connection will not be loud enough to create problems with a UCA222. Are you recording from your music sound system? Do you have a USB all-in-one turntable?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by brbrown » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:14 am

Thank you both for your replies.I am using a Bush Accoustics turntable with a red and white cable outlet which I connect to the UCA222 which in turn connects to the Mac with a USB connector. Where the Audacity volume indicates that it is disabled, it tells me to make adjustments in the Mac Sound system but as you say this cannot be done. It stays on maximum with no way to adjust it. I suppose the only thing is to accept the clipping and to be truthful, when listening to the playback, I cannot notice a difference.
brbrown

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:50 pm

...they cost next to nothing and it'll make your records sing again. The built in pre-amp...

So that's where the extra volume is coming from. The turntable (which apparently hasn't been made since 1995) has an internal phono preamp.

What documents I could find don't say anything about adjusting it but one listing does say you can bypass it. That won't help you any because that will mean you need to apply RIAA correction somewhere else.

See if the instructions give you a way to adjust the internal preamp.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:25 pm

After recording a side of a record, click on View > Show Clipping. If you get red lines every now and then, the clipping has probably occurred only on ticks and pops. If you get solid red areas on the track, you should look into getting a used pre-amp so you can turn down the level of the turntable before it reaches the UCA222.

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by brbrown » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Great. Thank you both. That is useful information. I didn't think about the pre-amp. I don't have any instructions for the turntable but I have just done a recording showing the clipping and it does not appear to have noticeably affected the playback. I will however try and get an instruction manual for the turntable. I did originally wonder if it was a problem the Audacity software producers could remedy with a software update but if the problem is with the pre-amp, I guess not. Thanks again for your help both.
brbrown

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:38 pm

As above, a vinyl pop or click is not going to change to your ear if it's distorted or not. You only get in trouble if actual music does that. So this may be a non-issue.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by brbrown » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks for that Koz. Yes, I agree. I will ignore the clipping. Incidentally, I have had a good look at the turntable and there is definitely no way to adjust the output.
brbrown

Return to Mac OS X