Audacity settings and effects resetting to default

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Audacity settings and effects resetting to default

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:17 am

I don't know where to go with your files and folders seemingly resetting themselves. I would be peeling the system(s) back to plain, non-enhanced computer until I found the problems, checking everything as I went. When was the last time you did a manual Windows DeFrag? Do you leave it running and alive all night? If not, the drive may be a blizzard of split files.

The MBA has El Capitan 10.11.6 and that seems to be reasonably stable, although I do have occasional odd behaviors. My sister and I have matching MBAs and I don't see a lot of value in upgrading either one any further.

As we go.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Audacity settings and effects resetting to default

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:06 am

Try making a copy of audacity.cfg, pluginregistry.cfg and pluginsettings.cfg and name them audacity1.cfg, pluginregistry1.cfg and pluginsettings1.cfg, then move them into the same folder as the originals.
Next time that Audacity mysteriously resets itself, look to see if the copies exist. If the copies have disappeared, then something is deleting your files, and it not likely to be Audacity because Audacity has no interest in files that are not its own files (Audacity does write to audacity.cfg, pluginregistry.cfg and pluginsettings.cfg, but it will never write to audacity1.cfg, pluginregistry1.cfg and pluginsettings1.cfg without complaining that you are doing something weird).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Previous

Return to Mac OS X