intermittent record

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".


Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
blad
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:36 pm
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: intermittent record

Post by blad » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:52 pm

billw58 wrote:We should have asked earlier: What version of Audacity are you running?
Also: How are you connecting your turntable to the Mac Pro? Line In? USB?
For the moment it appears all the elves are stumped.
-- Bill
I'm running Audacity 2.2.0>Mac Pro-OS X 10.13.1>Connecting turntable via USB. Please note that I have experienced an intermittent record with 2.1.0 as well with different computer also a Mac Pro - OS X 10.7.5 this computer was connected to turntable via mini jack.

billw58
Forum Staff
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:10 am
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)
Location: Waterloo, Ontario

Re: intermittent record

Post by billw58 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 pm

Some people have experienced problems with intermittent USB connections. Try pulling and re-seating the USB connector a few times.

Also, please try the steps in this FAQ.

-- Bill

blad
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:36 pm
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: intermittent record

Post by blad » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:13 am

billw58 wrote:Some people have experienced problems with intermittent USB connections. Try pulling and re-seating the USB connector a few times.

Also, please try the steps in this FAQ.

-- Bill
Bill, I'm ahead of you on this. Ive already went through it with "USB Wine". On my other device I had a faint high pitch sound that my only remedy was to go to the mini jack built-in. The wine disappeared. On my new device I have only the option of USB connection. So far no sound problems. Thanks

blad
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:36 pm
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: intermittent record

Post by blad » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:15 am

blad wrote:
billw58 wrote:Some people have experienced problems with intermittent USB connections. Try pulling and re-seating the USB connector a few times.

Also, please try the steps in this FAQ.

-- Bill
Bill, I'm ahead of you on this. Ive already went through it with "USB Wine". On my other device I had a faint high pitch sound that my only remedy was to go to the mini jack built-in. The wine disappeared. On my new device I have only the option of USB connection. So far no sound problems. Thanks
I think that your referring to a bad connection. My issue is not a bad connection.

billw58
Forum Staff
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:10 am
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)
Location: Waterloo, Ontario

Re: intermittent record

Post by billw58 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Did you try adjusting the "Buffer Length" as suggested in the FAQ?
-- Bill

blad
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:36 pm
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: intermittent record

Post by blad » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:10 pm

billw58 wrote:Did you try adjusting the "Buffer Length" as suggested in the FAQ?
-- Bill
Im afraid to. Does the defaults stay in place if I were to change the buffer and it doesn't do what I would prefer. If I have this right, that if I adjust the buffer can I adjust it while Audacity is transferring?

blad
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:36 pm
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: intermittent record

Post by blad » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:16 pm

blad wrote:
billw58 wrote:Did you try adjusting the "Buffer Length" as suggested in the FAQ?
-- Bill
Im afraid to. Does the defaults stay in place if I were to change the buffer and it doesn't do what I would prefer. If I have this right, that if I adjust the buffer can I adjust it while Audacity is transferring?
...or, do I adjust through trial and error and given that the app fails. What way should I adjust? what about sound quality?

billw58
Forum Staff
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:10 am
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)
Location: Waterloo, Ontario

Re: intermittent record

Post by billw58 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:11 am

The default is 100. As the FAQ says:
Open Recording Preferences and adjust the "Buffer Length" setting. Reduce the setting to 0 milliseconds. If recording breaks up or does not start, increase "Buffer Length" in increments of 10 milliseconds until recording is smooth
So, yes, it is trial and error. From what you've described, you have nothing to lose by trying this.
-- Bill

blad
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:36 pm
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: intermittent record

Post by blad » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:21 pm

billw58 wrote:The default is 100. As the FAQ says:
Open Recording Preferences and adjust the "Buffer Length" setting. Reduce the setting to 0 milliseconds. If recording breaks up or does not start, increase "Buffer Length" in increments of 10 milliseconds until recording is smooth
So, yes, it is trial and error. From what you've described, you have nothing to lose by trying this.
-- Bill
I'll always trust a Canadian. thanks I'll try it

Post Reply