Logitech USB H390 headset with Mac 10.12.6 Sierra

I have Logitech H390 USB headset. I tried using on Macbook Air. using audacity to record some tracks.
Here are the problems:

1. When I select Microphone as Logitech device, it will change to Mono instead of Stereo.
  2. When I try recording audio track recorded is hardly audible… very low.

I have tested the same using H340 headset… it works perfectly fine. Only issue when I use H390 model
Mac OS version : 10.12.6 Sierra
Audacity version : 2.1.3

Can you please suggest a fix for this?

Thank you.
/vachu

Logitech H390 USB headset.

The H390 has a very aggressive noise-cancelling microphone. That looks like the one I have. I stopped using it because of low volume and ratty voice quality.

But it did cancel room noise. You can use the Audacity tools to boost the volume in post production (Amplify, Normalize) but digital microphones record with fixed volume. The Audacity recording volume control snaps all the way up when you select the microphone, right?

it will change to Mono instead of Stereo.

Right. It’s a single microphone and naturally records mono. Some microphone systems will mount either stereo or mono, but some won’t. You can make “stereo” later by duplicating the track with Command-D and then use the drop-down menu to the left of the top track > Make Stereo Track.

The H340 is marketed for higher quality voice performances.

Koz

Thanks Koz.
Your observations are right too… H340 is older model which has all the supports like stereo recording as well as sound amplification.
Why don’t we extend the same enable the same for H390 also in Audacity?
Can’t be fixed in Audacity at all??
Thank you.
/vachu

Hi Koz,

One more thing which I could not get :

duplicating the track with Command-D and then use the drop-down menu to the left of the top track > Make Stereo Track.

What is command-D ? How to invoke that? In my track, “Make Stereo Track” is always disabled.

Thank you.
/vachu