Missing Audio Data Block Files

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Missing Audio Data Block Files

Permanent link to this post Posted by slivers » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:57 am

Hi, I tried to open a project I've been working on and received this message. It appears most or all of the data is present as the project window shows tracks with info, but they are all flatline.

I did move around the .aup file and the data folder (into another desktop folder), then tried to move them back onto the desktop after reading around this forum. No luck. I also renamed the file, then tried to rename it again, back to the original name, in case that affected something.

I tried to import audio from the .au files but I get a ton of short snippets that I can't try to piece back together.

Please help! Can share the log info if that's helpful.
slivers

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Missing Audio Data Block Files

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:03 pm

slivers wrote:Hi, I tried to open a project I've been working on and received this message. It appears most or all of the data is present as the project window shows tracks with info, but they are all flatline. I did move around the .aup file and the data folder (into another desktop folder), then tried to move them back onto the desktop after reading around this forum.

Never move or copy AUP files and _data folders by hand. You can destroy your project that way.

Use File > Save Project As... to copy or rename a project.

slivers wrote:I tried to import audio from the .au files but I get a ton of short snippets that I can't try to piece back together.

AU files are just that. Short snippets.

slivers wrote:Can share the log info if that's helpful.

Please see how to attach files to forum posts.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by zachfromm » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:23 am

episode 1 crash.JPG
episode 1 crash.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 198 times
Gale,

You seem to be the expert on this. New to Audacity and think know I'm using 2.2.1 while 2.1.1 is installed, so I'm wondering if that's where my mistake is. Attaching the "Warning" I'm getting from my computer.

I moved the AUP files into the _data folder and tried reopening the AUP files from there to no avail.

First time podcaster, learning as I go. Thanks.

Zach
zachfromm

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:29 am

zachfromm wrote:Gale,

You seem to be the expert on this...

Sad to have to tell you - Gale was an Audacity usage expert - but sadly he died in August lat year.

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:16 pm

zachfromm wrote:I moved the AUP files into the _data folder and tried reopening the AUP files from there to no avail.

Move the AUP files back out of the _data folder. The AUP file and the _data folder must be in the same directory/folder.

Never mess with the arrangement of the AUP file and its associated _data folder.

Please see this page in the manual.

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Return to Mac OS X