OSX Sierra - missing Features?

Hi,

i used audacity a while. Now i need the Analyze → Silence Finder… function. On OSX Sierra its missing. I don’t know why.

Also drag and drop from wav Files is not working.

Is this some kind of Bug? Do i have to remove settings? Or something else?

Thank you for possible answers.

Which version exactly of Sierra? See Apple Menu > About This Mac… .

Is Generate > Pluck… and Effect > Adjustable Fade… also missing? If so, ensure at Audacity > Preferences…, Effects section that that the “Nyquist” box is ticked (checked).

Ensure you installed Audacity correctly and are not running it from the DMG: Installation: Do NOT run Audacity from the DMG!!!!

If that does not help, it is probably Gatekeeper interference, assuming you are on macOS 10.12.1 or later. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app. Copy the below text then paste it into the terminal:

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Audacity/

Hit ENTER to send the command. Type the admin password when prompted. You won’t see the password while typing it, but hit ENTER when you have finished typing it.

Then reboot.

If Audacity is installed somewhere else than /Applications/Audacity, change the path to reflect where the Audacity folder is.

As it says in the 2.1.2 Release Notes:

(OS X) Audio files cannot be dragged into the Audacity window. You can drag files to the Audacity icon in /Applications or in the Dock, or import the file from within Audacity

This will be fixed in Audacity 2.1.3 when released.

Gale

Hi. Just wanted to say thank you!!! This was exactly my problem. I have Audacity version 2.1.2 and am running macOS Sierra version 10.12.3. This fixed the problem immediately. Thanks --Brydon

Hi,

would this fix also work with the missing ACX Check plugin? It is working on my MacBook Air (mid 2013) running El Capitan 10.11.6. However, it is missing on my MacBook Pro (mid 2015) running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3. I can see it in the plugins folder, but it does not appear on the list of Effects inside Audacity.

The version of Audacity on the 2013 MacBook Air is 2.0.5. The version on the 2015 MacBook Pro is 2.1.2. I don’t dare update Audacity on the MacBook Air. I did install an older version of Audacity on the MacBook Pro (version 2.0.6 was the closest I could get), but the problem with ACX Check missing persisted.

Thank you!

Yes the fix works with any Nyquist, LADSPA or VST plugins in the Audacity Plug-Ins folder.

Gale

I am using a Desktop Mac OSX EL Capitan version 10.11.6
I am currently using Audacity 2.1.3
The problem is suddenly I am unable to record in the .mp4 format (the only format my
computer is set for AND that I prefer).

It switches it to MP4 and I have no idea how to switch it back to .mp4

Now, if it proves necessary to update the Audacity version that I am using, WHICH
newer version is COMPATIBLE WITH MY MAC.

P.S. Is there any phone number or email where I can get technical support from Audacity
directly??
Again, I am using Mac OSX 10.11.6 EL Capitan

This forum is the correct place for support, but if you tag your posts onto the end of ancient topics they are not likely to be seen by many people. It’s best to start a new topic for each new question.

There is no telephone or email support.

According to the Audacity website (Redirecting to: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac)

MacOS 10.07 (Lion) to 10.12 (Sierra) are no longer officially supported, but are believed to work with the > latest Audacity version> .

Note that to create MP4 files requires installing FFmpeg in addition to Audacity. Instructions are provided here: Installing FFmpeg for Mac - Audacity Manual