Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
This forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".
Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x
- Quality Assurance
- Posts: 25981
- Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
- Operating System: Windows 10
Mac downloads of Audacity are at http://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac
If you obtain the DMG of Audacity please install Audacity properly thus:
If you do not follow the above steps you will have multiple problems.
- Double-click the downloaded .dmg to mount it.
- Drag the "Audacity" folder from the newly mounted .dmg to the "Applications" icon underneath "Places" on the left of Finder. Do not double-click the "Audacity" folder to open it and drag only the Audacity icon to /Applications. The Audacity application must be kept inside the Audacity folder at all times.
You can instead copy the "Audacity" folder to any other location of your choosing.
- Eject the .dmg in the "Devices" section on the left of Finder, then launch the Audacity application from the "Audacity" folder that you copied.
- You will be warned that "Critical Nyquist files cannot be found" and will not be able to use Audacity's optional plug-ins.
- You won't be able to save or export files without changing the directory you are saving or exporting to.
Last edited by Gale Andrews
on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Do not drag the Audacity application outside the "Audacity" folder.