Won't SAVE work in ANY format;crashed, thenCUT toolcorrupted

Hi!
My system:
MAC OS X 10.6.8
over 75% disc space available

I downloaded AUDACITY 2.0.2 from dmg for Mac OS X 10.4 or later as per instructions & began recording. Liked the SW!
I went to SAVE my files, so I then downloaded the file for MP3 format. Then I troubleshooted, as the save was unsuccessful.

I attempted all formats including the AUDACITY format,
but MY WORK WILL NOT SAVE. AT ALL.

Then Audacity crashed. It DID recover my work.

Since the crash, my CUT, COPY & PASTE (possibly more but that’s what I’m using) are malfunctioning & I cannot get them to work properly, so I am unable to continue until I resolve this. (I need to get this done, though!)

HELP!

1. HOW CAN I SAVE THIS WORK?
  2. HOW CAN I RESUME PROPER FUNCTIONING & USE OF AUDACITY?

If you could get back to me by tomorrow, the earlier the better, that would be fantastic.
THANKS!
SUE

Audacity doesn’t save sound files. To get one of them you have to Export one.

File > Export > WAV (Microsoft) SIgned 16-bit PCM. Those are large, perfect, good for further production, uncompressed sound files that will open up on all three major computing platforms.

You can also export an MP3, but you can’t use those for further production nearly as well because of compression sound damage.

Koz

Thank you for responding!

The thing is that when I
FILE>EXPORT>WAV>SAVE
(Edit Metadata>OK)
(Warning -tracks mixed down>OK)

I receive this MESSAGE:
Cannot export audio to /Volumes/Audacity/test.wav

For MP3, I receive
Unable to open target file for writing

1. I am concerned that if I close Audacity then reopen, it MIGHT solve some of these issues, but I FEAR I WILL LOOSE MY WORK.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS? (FYI: I am new at this.)
    Thanks,

What file name are you exporting to?

Test.wav (just a - z characters, upper or lower case) is good.

Can you change the save location to your Desktop and export there?

If it won’t work, can you do Help > Show Log… , drag-select and copy the text in the log and post it here?

Did you mount the dmg then drag the “Audacity” folder to your “Applications” folder and run Audacity from there? You cannot run Audacity from the dmg.

If Audacity won’t export or save project then you should force quit it ( Command - Option - Esc). Whatever is on the screen will be recovered when you restart, so make sure what is on screen is correct.

Then in Finder, Go > Go to Folder and type:

~/Library/Application Support/audacity/

Rename the attached audacity.txt file to “audacity.cfg” (without quotes) and paste it into ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/ . If audacity.cfg is already there, overwrite it.

Then restart Audacity.

Gale
audacity.txt (23 Bytes)

If you are exporting to /Volumes/Audacity/ then you are exporting to the DMG that Audacity was distributed on. Audacity should not be run from the DMG, but should be installed in the Applications folder of your hard drive. To do this, after quitting Audacity, drag the “Audacity” folder from the DMG into your Applications folder. Eject the DMG, then run Audacity from your Applications folder.

– Bill

I really appreciate the great support!

I did Force Quit. Then,
I dragged Audacity into Applications to Applications, & opened it from there & everything seems to be working fine-- I ned to double-check a few things later but Save appears functioning as well as Toolbar functions (cut, paste, etc.)

It attempted to Recover my files, but they were blank inside.

I think all is good from here. Thanks.

If that attempted recovered project is still open, in Finder, Go > Go To Folder and type

~/Library/Application Support/audacity/AutoSave

Open the “autosave” file in the AutoSave folder, and look for the “datadir” - that’s the folder that had the audio data for the project. Can you find that folder?

Gale