Splitting

Hi… Sorry for the major n00b question, but I couldn’t find the answer in FAQ or in the manual.

I’ve imported an album into Audacity, but it’s one long track and I’d like to separate those tracks.

Help?

Oh, I DL’d Audacity via dmg and I’m running Mac OS X 10.5.8

See here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/splitting_a_recording_into_separate_tracks.html

That seems pretty labor intensive. I can separate tracks manually in iTunes. Maybe Audacity is not the right program to do this with. I was under the false impression that Audacity would split the tracks automatically for me.

Thanks for the reply Steve.

Do you mean while recording, when it detects a silence? That’s a Feature Request.

As the Manual page says you can use Analyze > Silence Finder to automatically add labels in the silences, or Analyze > Sound Finder to label the regions of sound. Instead of typing labels you can set a file name prefix then Audacity will number sequentially after the prefix:
Audacity Manual .

Gale

No.

I’ve imported an album that has the tracks unseparated. I’d like to separate those tracks. The method Steve has kindly pointed the way to is a bit more labor intensive than I had expected. I’m looking for a program that will separate the tracks automatically. So far it seems Audacity isn’t capable of doing that (or am I wrong?).

Any suggestions?

I’ve already suggested Analyze > Silence Finder or Analyze > Sound Finder. These separate the tracks automatically by labelling either silences or the sounds either side of silence, with the proviso that this separation (as with most such programs) depends on there being low level audio or absolute silence between the tracks.

The labels can then be used in Export Multiple to export the files for each label in one process.

These methods are touched on in the page Steve gave you, but if you want to explore further:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/analyze_menu.html#silence_detection
Audacity Manual .

Gale

Ah, my mistake. I misunderstood you Gail. I thought you were referring specifically to separating tracks during recording.

Looks like this will do the trick. Thank you.

Good, thanks.

When I said “separating tracks during recording” is a “feature request”, that meant that Audacity doesn’t do that.

Gale