HELP WITH c.au

Hi I us Mac 10.4.11 I have saved my conversations but I can’t open them each time it appears Mac OS error -208 and I do not understand why they are save with quick time,in the name of each file it appears .au at the apple store the mac technitian said that I have to change them into MP3 but they said I should contact you for help better advise really they did not know really what to do. Thanks

Audacity will not save a sound file. If you do want a sound file that will play in other programs and computers, you have to export one.

File > Export > Format WAV, Microsoft 16-bit. Then pick a name for your file.

That will give you a WAV sound file which will play on other computers. You can make an MP3 music file, too, but you have to download and install additional software to do that.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#maclame

Koz

THANKS FOR YOU INFO BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE FILES THAT I HAVE SAVED IN MY COMPUTER AND ARE IN c.au I WILL ABLE TO RETRIEVE THEM AND CHANGE THEM IN THE MP3 SYSTEM WITH THE STEPS YOU MENTIONED ANDIF SO WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RECUPERATE THEM.
THANKS

Please don’t type in UPPER CASE - it’s hard to read.

First, make sure you have installed the LAME MP3 export library using the link Koz gave:
Audacity Manual .

You have to leave the AU files alone or you will destroy your work. The AU files are only short fragments of your complete work - internal files that only Audacity can use.

If you have this work open now in Audacity, use File > Export and choose “MP3 Files”. See this page for how to make the correct choices for MP3:
Audacity Manual .

If you had saved your work as an Audacity project (AUP) but closed it, open the AUP file, not the AU files. Look in File > Open Recent in the Audacity menus and you should see your AUP file. Click on it to open it. Then export as MP3.

Gale

hi gale,

i donwloades what koz said but i can not use it with my mac 10.4.11 version is their another option?

1 Audacity > Quit Audacity.
2 Download http://lame1.buanzo.com.ar/Lame_Library_v3.98.2_for_Audacity_on_OSX.zip .
3 Extract “libmp3lame.dylib” from the zip and put that dylib file in the folder where the Audacity application is.
4 Launch Audacity.
5 If Audacity says it cannot find the MP3 encoding library, click Audacity > Preferences then choose “Libraries” on the left.
6 Click “Locate…” under “MP3 Export Library”, then “Browse…” in the “Locate Lame” dialog.
7 Navigate to the folder where you put “libmp3lame.dylib”, select “libmp3lame.dylib”, click “Open” then “OK” and “OK”.

Gale