Adjust Input Volume?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
John S
Operating System: Please select

Adjust Input Volume?

Post by John S » Mon May 21, 2012 10:58 pm

I am using Mac OS 10.6.8 and Audacity 2.0 downloaded with dmg. I am attempting to record from a phono/usb input, and I am unable to adjust my input volume. The input control slider in Audacity is unavailable but appears to be set at maximum (the output slider works). Similarly, the sliders for the volume adjustment for the USB Audio CODEC in the "Audio MIDI Setup" is unavailable, and appear to be set at "0" with no indication for "value" or "dB". What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any info.

billw58
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Adjust Input Volume?

Post by billw58 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:11 pm

You're not doing anything wrong. USB input devices do not have software input level controls.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/User: ... ut_devices

-- Bill

John S
Operating System: Please select

Post by John S » Mon May 21, 2012 11:17 pm

Well that explains that! Thanks.

pbergerd
Operating System: OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or earlier

Post by pbergerd » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:28 pm

I have the same situation. My problem is that the output level for my raw Audacity files is very low. Is there no way to increase the input levels to get a better range? (PS: I don't have this problem when using Windows 7).