Audacity crashes when I stop recording

I have been using Audacity 2.4.2 since mid-2020 without much trouble. I recently updated my mac to Ventura 13.0.1, and used Audacity today for the first time since doing so. It opens fine, records as usual, but when I click to stop recording, an error message pops up saying Audacity has closed unexpectedly and data may not be recoverable. In some cases I’ve tested short recordings (less than 15 minutes), and they recover just fine. In longer cases they do not.

I searched the forum quite a while today to see if identical issues have already been posted, but didn’t find any so I hope this isn’t redundant. Is this likely an easy fix with an Audacity update (or something else)? Or are macs having issues under their latest Ventura update with Audacity?

Thanks for any advice!

I’m experiencing the same issue, with Audacity 3.0.2 and Mac OS Ventura 13.0.1.

Audacity closed when I pressed Stop after recording a file just over 28 minutes long. Fortunately, when I reopened Audacity, the file was recovered.

Thanks for the reply ChrisRM. That’s good to know–and unfortunately suggests that even if I updated my version of Audacity, that it might not solve the problem. Maybe the fault lies within the latest Ventura update?

Hi KCT,
I upgraded to Audacity 3.2.1, and I didn’t have the problem when I tested it with a brief recording.

Thanks ChrisRM! I will try updating as well. Good to know it worked for you :slight_smile:

The update seemed to resolve the crashing issue. But there’s a new problem, in that the audio I’m trying to record is not getting through. I’ve only got one choice for source (“Core Audio”) so I’m not sure if that’s related to the problem. The Playback Device is correct, though Recording Device has me confused…I’m recording on my mac, but my options are just “USB PnP Audio Device”–which is my playback source–or “iMac Microphone.” I am recording onto the mac, but not recording on the microphone.

I remember having difficulty getting the audio setup correctly when I first installed Audacity so perhaps I’m having the same issue again, but don’t know how to figure it out. Any suggestions out there?

Apple may see 3.2.1 as a new program over 2.4.2. So the first thing to check is that you have given yourself permission to use the microphone. See: Control access to the microphone on Mac - Apple Atbalsts (LV)

Thanks jademan. Turns out that (microphone permission) was exactly the problem. I did not think the microphone would have anything to do with an external audio source, but I was wrong and the problem appears to be resolved! I don’t love how I can’t see that the audio is inputting until I press record (my old version of audicity would show the audio levels of whatever I was playing whether or not I was recording), so I had to mess around a bit before finally just testing it by pressing record and hoping the audio was going through)…but it is working, so I’ll take it! Thanks again.

I’m glad you got it working. :smiley: And yes, that is certainly confusing…

So on Windows, when I click on the little icon of the microphone by the meters, it brings up a context menu to start monitoring. I expect MacOS is the same. :wink: