Corrupted audio when recording through Safari/Youtube

I’ve just switched from Windows to macOS (Monterey 12.3.1) although I’ve been using Audacity for many years (on Windows).

I recently had some issues with corrupted audio when trying to record Youtube audio through Safari. The audio
playback was somehow being intermittently interrupted, giving a sort of ‘machine gun’ effect. Without restarting
Audacity I then tried a new recording but running YouTube from Firefox - audio was perfect. Similarly no problem
when recording from Chrome/Youtube. I’m using the Blackhole audio plugin.

So, I have a workaround but I find it slightly unsettling that the macOS native Safari seems to have some interworking
issues with Audacity, whereas 3rd party browsers (Chrome, Firefox) seem to work fine. Anyone else experience similar
problems? Any idea what’s going on?

Many thanks!

Richard.

My guess is that it’s yet another case of Apple refusing to play well with others.

If it works for you with Firefox and Chrome, then I’d suggest that you keep using those when you need to record. The fact that it’s only Safari that has the problem strongly suggests that the problem lies in Safari.

Alternatively, if you have any plug-ins / Add-ons installed in Safari, then perhaps a Safari plug-in is causing the problem. To test if this is the case, try disabling all plug-ins / Add-ons in Safari (if you have any).