Audacity cannot record in stereo Mac OS

I recently updated to Mac OS 12.3.1 and Audacity default is now Recording to Mono.
Cannot change this in Preferences. I have removed and installed Audacity but still no change.
I have been using Pro-Ject Phono Box USB V recording from my turntable.
I have a MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020)
Anyone else had this problem?
Thanks in advance.
joeM

First, check that Audacity has permission to access the “microphone”: see this post.

Next, go to Apple (menu) > System Preferences > Sound > Input. Do you see “USB Audio CODEC” there? If not, you need to find out why. If the Mac cannot see the interface neither will Audacity. If it is there, select it.

Start Audacity and look at the Device Toolbar. Can you select USB Audio CODEC as the Recording Device? If so, can you then choose “2 (stereo)” in the Recording Channels dropdown menu?

– Bill

Hi, I registered to ask about this issue, which I am encountering.

Mic is authorized for Audacity in the Security & Privacy setting as discussed here earlier.

Previous versions of Audacity on an older MacBook Pro worked as expected.

MacBook Pro 2021 16"
OSX 12.3.1
Audacity v3.1.3
Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 2.43.03 PM.jpg

What USB Audio device are you using?
– Bill

Techrise USB sound card

This Techrise ?
Techrise.jpg
The pink port here is for a mono input microphone. The other ports (green and black) are both used for headphones.

If you are looking for a USB stereo line input adapter, you can do a (google) search on “USB audio Capture”.

According to the product specs, it’s stereo.
TechRise USB specs.jpg

That looks like “marketing speak” to me.
“Supports normal stereo” probably means that it supports playing 2 channel stereo through the headphone output. My guess is that the “mic input” is for a normal mono microphone. It’s designed for use with a headset, and it would be highly unusual for a headset to have a stereo mic.

Hi all!
I have the same problem: how to put STEREO signal IN macbook pro (13", M1, 2022). As we have just 1 audio port and it is stereo on output and just mono on input, we need to bring audio stereo in through usb port.
I don’t need very high class quality… I just would like to bring my old vinyl on mp3… a not-maximum quality is ok, but I would like to maintain the stereo effect!
So which one? Any help is great!

The Behringer UFO222 is a popular product.

I have a new Macbook Air, Ventura OS. I went to Sound and USB Audio CODEC is not there. What is the solution? An adapter? My old Macbook Pro had access to stereo. Is this a privacy issue with the new one?
Thanks!

Before you will see “USB Audio CODEC” in sound input, you need to connect one (an audio to USB device) to your Macbook. For example the Behringer UCA222 or similar.