No Input with Jabra Bluetooth Headset/phones

Hi everyone,

I use Audacity 2.4.2 on MacOS 12.1 and I would like to use my Jabra Evolve2 65 Headset that is connected via bluetooth. Unfortunately, no sound is recorded when using it.

I have

1. set the MacOS sound preferences input to the Jabra headset
  2. and it is selected Jabra as the Core Audio in Audacity.
  3. in the preferences in “devices” pane I have selected Jabra for recording as well.

I only get a recording when I select “software playthrough of input”. But then I hear myself (i can minimize that by regulating output low though). So is there another way?

S

Wireless headphones are very difficult because they’re not pure sound devices. You have to set them up in Radio/Networking, too. It’s not fun.

If you’re trying to record the microphone, the headset system has to show up in Apple > System Preferences > Sound > Input and the little bouncing sound meter has to work, too. Audacity gets its sound from the computer, not the device.

Koz

One other note. If the Audacity meters are bouncing and you get blue waves, you are getting a recording whether or not you can hear it in real time.

Play it back later and suddenly everything is OK. That’s normal. Recording and Playback are completely separate computer services. A bit ago I performed two completely different jobs on my Mac, one recording and one playback.

If your goal is overdubbing, you can’t do that with a headset connected to the computer because of delay, latency, and echo problems. You should consider a microphone, interface, or sound mixer with local and computer monitoring.

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 8.54.11 AM.png
Local monitoring is also recommended if you’re reading for audiobook or other critical application. Hearing yourself clearly in real time helps a lot with maintaining good volume, pronunciation, and presentation.

Koz