new latency problem when overdubbing

I have been using Audacity to create multitrack recordings of various instruments and vocals. I have recorded each track one at a time, and then added another track, etc. This has worked fine, but today when I sat down and tried to record a new track it was delayed, as if some latency had been applied. I tried recording a new track in a number of different existing audacity files, and in each case the new track is delayed with respect to all the existing tracks. I have tried restarting the computer and reinstalling Audacity, but the problem persists. I am thinking that there must be a latency default for new tracks, and that this has somehow been disturbed, but I can’t find it. I am using MacOSS 12.0.1. After having reinstalled Audacity, I have version 3.1.3 installed. I’m not sure what version I was running when this issue started, but it was 3.x because all of my files are aup3 files. Any help in Identifying the cause of this latency while recording new tracks would be appreciated.

I have been using Audacity to create multitrack recordings of various instruments and vocals.

How? Are you performing or singing into a microphone, mixer, or interface? How is your voice or instrument sound getting into Audacity?

There are latency settings and adjustments in Audacity that may help depending on your setup.

Koz

I am using a Scarlett 2i2. I plug my instrument directly into the Scarlett, which in turn plugs directly into the Mac via usb. This has worked fine for over a year until the problem cropped up. Thank you!