Macros on Files... doesn't seem to work

MacOS 10.14.6
Audacity 3.1.3

What I’m trying to do:
Apply a macro to files in a specific folder

What’s happening:
#1 If no project is open then the only menus I get are “Files” and “Windows.” Full stop.

#2 If I have a project open and I go to “Tools > Macros…” and select “Files…” I get a message that tells me to save and close the current project. If I do that, see #1 above. Or I can reopen the project and repeat this item…to no avail.

I feel like I’m missing something here… :confused:

Thanks!

I think the instructions claim you can do this, so you may just be initializing it wrong.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/macros.html

Scroll down > Uses for Macros > Batch Processing.

This doesn’t apply to you, but one common Macro failure is the inability to make decisions. IF/THEN is completely missing. “IF the sound isn’t loud enough THEN do this.” Nope. Can’t do that.

People want Macros to take over their editing jobs and it won’t do that, either.

Koz

Both of those choices get the same result (posted originally).

I’m not trying to do anything other than change the temp and pitch of some mp3 files in a folder. Which works fine if run on an individual file manually.

Sorry, I was referring to the documentation.

Choosing “Files…” either on the Macro Editor panel or on the Palettes Panel gets the same (erroneous?) message.

Launch Audacity from the Dock. That should give you a new, empty project from which you can run a macro on files.

BOOM. Worked.

Thanks!