Can you copy a track from Audacity 3 into Audacity 2

Since I’m not able to get Audacity 3 to work I’ve had to go back to Audacity 2 but now it seems that the files I made with audacity 3 cannot be opened with Audacity 3. Is this true? I also cannot even copy and past a track from A 3 into A 2. More specifically I’m using Audacity 3.1.2 for mac and Audacity 2.4.2

now it seems that the files I made with audacity 3 cannot be opened with Audacity 3.

Is that a typo? “cannot be opened with 2”?

Are you in any position to Export the Version 3 work as WAV files? Those open anywhere.

Audacity 3 uses very different formats and processes and its native work won’t open “backwards,” as far as I know.

Welcome back to 2.4.2.

Koz

Audacity 2.x saves projects as an “AUP” file, plus a “_data” folder for the audio data.
Audacity 3.x saves projects as an “AUP3” file (self contained - it includes the audio data).

Audacity 3.x can open projects from Audacity 2.x but only saves in the new AUP3 format.
Audacity 2.x cannot open the new format.

You can Export tracks from Audacity 3.x as WAV files, and then import the WAV file into Audacity 2.x. For perfect quality, export as “32-bit float” WAV.