Missing Time Shift Tool

I’m working on a Mac 10.15.7 Catalina and running the newest Audacity version 3.1.0.
The time shift tool is missing! Completely not there. Can someone help? Can’t bring it up via Help either.

Also - the latest Audacity has frozen twice on my computer so far, so hmmmmmmm.

Yes, that is intentional. Audio clips can now be dragged using the Selection tool (or any other tool) in the “Clip Handle”. See: Audio Tracks - Audacity Manual

Hi, I am new in this system and I can not find the time shift tool, and I can not understand the answer, Could someone explain it how I could use the timeshift?, Please explain me as I was a dummy
thanks in advance

As previously stated in this thread, Audacity 3.1.0 does not have a Time Shift Tool.

If you want to move an audio clip, click and drag the bar at the top of the clip. See here for more details: Audio Tracks - Audacity Manual

Hi everyone,

One benefit of the missing time shift tool was a vertical line that would appear along all the tracks. This was helpful to me for aligning tracks as it would let me easily see which tracks were misaligned.

While the new way of dragging tracks is indeed very easy and thus, helpful, I am at a loss of the vertical line along the tracks that would help me with aligning.

Is there some other way to have Audacity show this vertical line?

What I would do is to drop a temporary point label at the line-up position. Then when you move tracks with the drag-bars you will see the yello snap-line appear when the edge of the moved clip lines up with the label.

Peter.

Thank you for your suggestion!

It works, but I ended up rolling back to Audacity 3.0.5. I even noticed that the missing vertical line shows along all tracks regardless of which tool is selected.

I’ve logged that as a bug.

Really? To me it’s a feature I treasure enough to downgrade :rofl:

I’m not sure that the vertical line has ever had a proper name, so from now on I’ll adopt your excellent suggestion of: “vertical line of epicness” :smiley:

I always thought it was called the snap-guide

Peter.

That’s the yellow vertical line (that appears when a selection or clip aligns with a label or edge of another clip) isn’t it?

Oh yes - in which case I don’t have nomenclature to the TQO line :unamused:

Peter

“VLOE” :smiley:

No objections here :laughing:

If that ever makes it to a change log (maybe 3.1.2 introducing it as a feature) I’ll have quite the story for my grandchildren :rofl:

I’ve read through the posts for the missing Time Shift Tool and a link was posted to find the answer. I cannot find the answer on that page. I’m super brand-new to Audacity and I need explicit directions on how to move the tracks the way the Time Shift Tool moved them. Posting a link to a page with lots of info isn’t helpful as I don’t know what I’m looking at.

MacOs Monterey, Audacity 3.1.1

The time shift tool no longer is needed because parts of the clip have this function now:

1. click and hold on the clip handle above the waveform
  2. drag the clip to where you need it.

Oh, okay thanks. At first I was wonder, ‘why fix something that isn’t broken’? But now I see that it’s actually easier.

Though there are some cons. For example, it is now very difficult to click and drag a selection in a collapsed stereo track.

Time Shif Tool

The old Time Shift Tool - “Time Shift Tool” button has been replaced by Clip handles.

Clip handles are the rounded corners above the clip which feature the clip title. You can move clips around by simply clicking and dragging the clip handle, and you can rename clips by double-clicking the clip handle.

Label tracks don’t feature clip handles, but they can be moved around just the same: Simply click on the label (the bar for region labels, the circle for point labels) and drag them to their new place.

To see the images about this: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/new_features_in_this_release.html

I hope it helped!

1 Like