Project won't reopen after crash

Hello. My macOS version is Mojave 10.14.6. I was working on an aup3 project earlier when my MAC ran out of charge and shut down. When I restarted it, I was offered the option to open a recovered version of my project but when I ticked that option, this is what came up:

Screenshot 2021-10-20 at 20.36.05.png
And here are the ‘problem details’:

{
“timestamp”: 1634758254,
“event_id”: “220de2e2533440cd9f9ce8e157d25785”,
“platform”: “native”,
“release”: “audacity@3.0.5”,
“contexts”: {
“os”: {
“type”: “os”,
“name”: “Macintosh”,
“version”: “10.14.6”
}
},
“exception”: {
“values”: [
{
“type”: “Error_Opening_Project”,
“value”: “Failed to open database file:\n\n/Anna Wilson intro Tue ”,
“mechanism”: {
“type”: “runtime_error”,
“handled”: false,
“data”: {
“sqlite3.rc”: “11”,
“sqlite3.context”: “DBConnection::ModeConfig”,
“sqlite3.mode”: “PRAGMA .busy_timeout = 5000;PRAGMA .locking_mode = SHARED;PRAGMA .synchronous = NORMAL;PRAGMA .journal_mode = WAL;PRAGMA .wal_autocheckpoint = 0;”,
“log”: “20:30:54: DBConnection SetDBError\n\tErrorCode: 11\n\tLastError: Failed to set safe mode on primary connection to /Anna Wilson intro Tue \n\tLibraryError: database disk image is malformed\n20:30:54: DBConnection SetError\n\tErrorCode: 11\n\tLastError: Failed to open database file:\n\n/Anna Wilson intro Tue \n\tLibraryError: (11): database disk image is malformed\n”
}
}
}
]
}
}

I tried downloading the newest version of Audacity (3.0.5) but my project still won’t open. Any ideas would be much appreciated as I’ve spent hours editing this project. Many thanks in advance.

There was a guest forum elf helping for a while and he prepared a special Audacity program to repair .aup3 crashes. We should wait for another forum elf to come by and help as I don’t know how it works.

Meanwhile, do you have backups for your original recordings? Could you put the show back together again from the backups if you had to? You should have perfect quality WAV sound files of all original, raw readings or performances.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/failed-to-read-from-a-file-in-c-cant-open-1-36gb-file/62985/13

Koz

Thanks so much, Koz. I do have the original WAV file, yes, so at least I could start again with the editing if needs be. It just takes so much time! I might wait a bit longer first to see if any elves appear!

The laptop I’m working on is quite old and really needs replacing because it lasts hardly any time at all if it’s not plugged in.

Thanks again for your message.
Judrop

The laptop I’m working on is quite old and really needs replacing because it lasts hardly any time at all if it’s not plugged in.

If it’s old enough, it may be possible to replace the battery. Consult your instructions. If you flip the machine over, does it have a little thumb pad and does a part of the bottom come off if you tickle that pad?

A battery going flat can cause other problems. It’s not just that you can’t unplug the machine from the wall. This is fair warning of trouble ahead.

Koz

The code: “sqlite3.rc”: “11” indicates you are getting a corrupt database error. It is likely that you will not be able to recover your project.

Your best chances at recovery are to try Steve’s suggestions here:

If following Steve’s suggestion is not fruitful, sometimes it is possible to extract the raw audio data, ignoring all of the database structure information. This works best for a mono recording before any editing is done. However for a stereo recording or for heavily edited files, reconstruction can be a nightmare. I (and another elf) have a program that can sometimes do this extraction. If you get this far, zip up your .aup3 file and upload it to a file sharing service. Post (or PM me) a link to the file, and I’ll take a look at it.