Can't mount downloaded Audacity dmg

I downloaded 3.0.5 from https://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/ , but when I try to open it I get a popup ‘“audacity-macos-3.0.5-Intel.dmg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.’

I would have thought that a zillion people would be raising this issue, but I can’t find any other posts so evidently it’s just me. Can anybody tell me what’s wrong?

I’m running Mojave 10.14.5 on a MacBook Pro, mid-2015, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7. The download was via Chrome 92.0.4515.107.

Apple (upper left) > System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Allow Apps Downloaded…

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 5.49.54 PM.png
Koz

Koz’s suggestion, though a good one, does not solve the problem; this setting was already correct.

Additional information: I tried earlier versions from fosshub and found that I also can’t mount audacity-macos-3.0.X-Intel.dmg for X=4 and X=3. I can, however, mount audacity-macos-3.0.2.dmg just fine. (So the first dmg whose file name contains “-Intel” is also the first dmg I can’t mount, not that the name should make a difference.)

If we can’t figure it out I guess I’ll use 3.0.2 and let it go at that, but I’m still hoping for some other ideas.

/Larry D
(sorry if this comment is a duplicate; I tried to post it a few hours ago but don’t see it anywhere now)

Have you tried trashing your current download and downloading again?

As far as we can tell you are the only person in the world with this problem. :frowning: At least, no-one here can duplicate it.

– Bill

Have you tried trashing your current download and downloading again?

If by “trashing [my] current download” you mean deleting the .dmg and downloading it again, yes I have, many times. If you mean uninstalling my current (old) version of Audacity and trying on an Audacityless machine, I have not tried that. But I get the error before the disk image is even mounted, let alone read, so I don’t see how the presence of an old Audacity could be contributing.

\

As far as we can tell you are the only person in the world with this problem.

It’s nice to be special. Well, in that case I guess we drop it. As I said, it seems I can install 3.0.2, and I’ll just use that until something changes. Perhaps a future version will work OK, or I’ll replace my aging laptop or upgrade from Mojave and it will make a difference. Thanks anyway.

Hi - I also have the same problem as larrydb! I have never used or downloaded Audacity. I downloaded v 3.1.3 and I have a MacBook running Mojave 10.14.5. And when I double click on the downloaded file in my Download folder, I get the same message:

“audacity-macos-3.1.3-Intel (2).dmg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

Should I download an earlier version? To say this is driving me nuts is an understatement.

SOLUTION:

1. Right-click on the .dmg file that is in your download folder
  2. Choose OPEN WITH > DiskImageMonuter (default)
    That will open the downloaded file!
  3. Drag the Audacity icon in that message window and overlay it on the Application Folder Icon to install it.

The Manual has this clear warning

Do not double-click the “Audacity.app” application in the DMG window, Audacity must not be run from the DMG.

And the following clear set of installation instructions for Mac:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_and_updating_audacity_on_mac_os_x.html

WC