Dropouts when recording from BLUE USB Audio 2.0

I assume this is a Blue Yeti microphone, but I’m going to list what the device is labeled as to be more specific. It’s definitely an older device, say 10 years, but I haven’t had any issues with it before. Also haven’t used it in several years.

I have it plugged in to my MacBook Air (2017), 2.2ghz dual-core Intel i7, with 8GB RAM and a 512GB SSD.

I’ve turned off every other app consuming CPU, like Chrome, Adobe, etc. I check with Activity Monitor.

Even so, when I record audio in Audacity, and even in Quicktime, the mic is glitching and dropping out every 1-3 seconds.

I read a few other posts about this, but it doesn’t seem to be that common of an issue. I understand CPU is the primary concern. Is a dual-core i7 not enough power to record audio with?? It can’t be the storage device, since any modern SSD is more than fast enough to record as far as I know. And the RAM shouldn’t have anything to do with it, but also 8GB should be enough.

How long is the USB cable? Six Feet or less? Do you have another one?

Unplug and replug both ends several times and then restart Audacity (in that order).

Which sampling rate are you using? 44100 or 48000 (Audacity lower left window).

The Yeti has a live monitor headphone connection in the base. Does it work without skipping? Can you use the Yeti as an Audacity playback device?

Koz

Missed a couple. Are you going through are USB hub or splitter? Audacity hates those.

External Drives, Network Drives, iCloud?

MacBook Air (2017)

That should have two USB-A connections, right, one on each side? Try the other one.

Koz

Does this FAQ help?
– Bill