Will it Work on El Capitan

My Macbook runs OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
Audacity Audacity 3.0.4

I am wondering if Audacity 3.0.4 will work on my Macbook. Also, should I be aware of any problems? Finally, I am wondering IF it won’t work/I shouldn’t use it, THEN what legacy edition should I use?

I’m sure I’ll pay for this in The Next Life, but I don’t install Audacity in Applications. I install it in version folders under Applications.

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 8.13.24 AM.png
That’s Audacity 2.4.2 (below).

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 8.20.30 AM.png
I don’t use periods in the folder names and I only get one icon in the Dock. All the other Audacity applications must be launched from Go > Applications > Audacity.app as in the illustration.

The first Audacity you install seems to get the customization, settings, and configuration, and they’re carried forward to the others.

I tell my Mac not to hide filename extensions, so I actually do see the “.app” at the end of names.

Audacity 2.4.2 should work OK on earlier Macs. Later Audacitys start getting into the 32-bit and 64-bit hassles.

Koz

One more. Never launch more than one Audacity, even two of the same one. It scrambles support and UNDO.

Koz

Although Audacity 3.0.4 is not officially supported on macOS 10.11 (see: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/#sysreq), this page says: “MacOS 10.07 (Lion) to 10.12 (Sierra) are no longer officially supported, but are believed to work with the latest Audacity version.”

Legacy versions of Audacity are available here : https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity-old.html

I don’t recall off-hand which was the last version to officially support macOS 10.11. There is no harm in installing version 3.0.4 on your MacBook and seeing if it works.

– Bill

Thank you one and all. I gave it a shot and it seems to be working. I am wondering if I might run into some problems using some of the features, but I did a simple 1, 2, 3 test test test and it recorded fine.

I am saving up to purchase a new macbook that uses the Apple M1 Chip. YEow!!! talk about a game changer. I haven’t purchased a new computer since 2009 (I think) but this is too good to pass up. So, when I purchase the new Macbook, all my worries will evaporate.

So, when I purchase the new Macbook, all my worries will evaporate.

All the old worries will evaporate.

Never buy version 1 of anything. Let all the people who need The Very Latest Thing Or They Will Just Die do it and watch the reviews.

I was eating my eggs at the local breakfast place and I asked the next stool over which iPhone he had. He said, “The Latest One.” I am not making that up.

It’s the male version of jewelry.

I just got back from Vallée de Joux. and I got this great new Patek Philippe.

Koz