no sound recorded, but waveforms & recording meter activity both show

OS sierra 10.12.6; MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015); (only jack is for headphone)

Audacity 3.0.2

Trying to digitize old cassette tapes from a 25 year old jvc tapedeck using its headphone (out) jack (there is a
has CD out r/l jack on the back that I assume wouldnt work for this project), to the usb port on my Mac. The tape deck and cassette tapes work fine.

I am going from the tapedeck’s headphone jack to Mac’s usb port using: a QVS USB to 2.1 stereo audio adapter (https://www.shopqvs.com/store/p/3883.aspx) - not sure which of the 2 jacks on it I’v been trying, with 3.5mm -3 ring trss cable (https://www.shopqvs.com/store/p/4562.aspx).

Again I see waveforms and activity on the recording meter when I record, but there is no sound. At one point I turned the tape deck volume all the way to see if that would help, but that only resulted in a few periodic clicking sounds.

Finally, I am not at all experienced with recording of any kind, so replies in the simplest terms would be helpful. Thanks much

Also when I try to use the Monitoring, there is also no sound, except for the same clicks I heard on the recording.

More clues - Audacity will record my voice or background noise. So I am wondering if Audicity can not recognize my tapedeck?

The only options on my device toolbar are (there is nothing else when I try use the dropdown menu):
Grabber - core audio, Recording Device - built-in microphone, Playback Device - Built-in output

Appreciate any help you can provide. Heard great things about Audacity and just want to get it to work. Thanks

I assume you’ve looked at this page. “Core Audio” is the “host” not the “grabber”. From the other information you’ve provided it seems the Mac is not recognizing the QVS USB to 2.1 stereo audio adapter. Note that it is meant to connect a stereo microphone, not line level from a cassette deck.

Go to Apple (menu) > System Preferences > Audio > Input. Do you see the USB audio input device there?

– Bill

Thank you - I see it’s the Host.

I just went to input and it does show USB audio device.
What next do you suggest?

In Audacity, Transport (menu) > Rescan Audio Devices.
– Bill

Rescan did work! The USB audio device does now appear as an option.

But when I try to record I get the following message: Error opening recording device - Error code -9986 Internal PortAudio error.
The info tab this sends me to: file:///Applications/Audacity.app/Contents/help/manual/man/error_opening_sound_device.html
doesnt show that specific code.
What can I do about this?

In Audacity, click on Help (menu) > Diagnostics > Audio Device Info. Copy the contents of the report window and paste it into a message here.

– Bill

here it is:

==============================
Default recording device number: 2
Default playback device number: 1
Device ID: 0
Device name: Built-in Microphone
Host name: Core Audio
Recording channels: 2
Playback channels: 0
Low Recording Latency: 0.00294785
Low Playback Latency: 0.01
High Recording Latency: 0.0943764
High Playback Latency: 0.1
Supported Rates:
Device ID: 1
Device name: Built-in Output
Recording channels: 0
Playback channels: 2
Low Recording Latency: 0.01
Low Playback Latency: 0.0187982
High Recording Latency: 0.1
High Playback Latency: 0.110227
Supported Rates:
Device ID: 2
Device name: USB Audio Device
Recording channels: 1
Playback channels: 2
Low Recording Latency: 0.01
Low Playback Latency: 0.00335417
High Recording Latency: 0.1
High Playback Latency: 0.0126875
Supported Rates:
Selected recording device: 2 - USB Audio Device
Selected playback device: 1 - Built-in Output
Supported Rates:
Available mixers:
Available recording sources:
Available playback volumes:
0 - PCM
Recording volume is native
Playback volume is native

A couple of things while we are waiting for Bill:

1. Can you record from your internal microphone? Sometimes there is a permissions issue and MacOS won’t let audacity record anything until microphone recording permission is granted.

2. Are you trying to record in stereo? It looks as though the interface you are using only allows for a mono microphone.

3. The particular device you are using has connections for microphone input and for headphone output. You won’t be able to use the USB headphone output port for this project. And the microphone input is mono, not stereo; but more importantly, as Bill indicates: the levels are all wrong for recording headphone level or line level. You might be able to get it to work, but I would never recommend this device for what you are trying to do.

You need a USB port with a stereo LINE IN port, such as the Behringer UCA 202 or 222. $25 w/free shipping from Sweetwater. Amazon $41. You would probably also need an interface cable such as the Hosa TRS201, CMR203, or CRA201AU.

In the device toolbar what have you selected as “recording channels”. If you’ve selected 2 but the device supports only 1 this could be the problem.
In any case, you will not be able to record your stereo cassettes with this interface, as jademan implies. So it seems pointless to try to get this device to work with Audacity.

– Bill

Thanks so much Jademan & Bill. Again I have very little experience with anything digital like this, so please bear with me, with my answers and questions.

1. Jademan if this is what you are asking: yes I can record from my macbook’s internal mic, completely unrelated to the tape deck or QVS adapter. That is, I can speak and Audacity will create a file I can playback just fine.

2. Just to doublecheck I just tried to record in mono (Also Bill’s question I think about recording channel. No luck. Although this time the waveforms and recording meter were so high, they were off the charts. But still no sound upon playback through my laptop (“Built-In Output” on the device toolbar).

3. I will buy your recommendations Jademan. But Bill would/should my device still work with the radio that’s in the tapedeck?

And I am confused about something. I guess I dont understand how the Behringer would connect to my tapedeck and macbook. Don’t I need a device that connects the tapedeck’s headphone output or line-out to the mac’s usb line-in?

So the Behringer does not connect to your tapedeck - it has a USB cable and plugs into your macbook.

You will need to find the proper cable that will connect your tapedeck OUTPUT to the Behringer INPUT. The Behringer INPUT uses RCA connectors. I do not know whether you have 1/4" or 1/8" or RCA outputs on your tapedeck - I’ll leave that up to you to specify the correct cable.

Jademan, That clears up my Behringer question. But I have just 2 outlets on the tape deck & now it’s not clear if either of these work. I have the headphone jack which I believe you are saying Audacity can not use? Is this correct? For radio and cassette player?

And the only other outlets it has are 2 RCA outlets on the back which are labeled “CD Out” (right and left). Do you know if these RCA outlets will also work send sound for the cassette player?

Without knowing the model number it is impossible to say.
– Bill

You won’t be able to use the USB headphone output port on your QVC interface for this project. You should be able to use the headphone jack on your non-USB cassette tapedeck. Just make sure you get the right connection cable for it - which is likely one of those I listed earlier.

As Bill was asking, what is the model number of your jvc tapedeck?

JVC RC-X310. 1992! Again 2 RCA outlets are labeled as CD.

I can’t find a user manual for that unit.

Since the jacks are labelled “CD Out” I’d guess that’s what they do, and do not include the cassette or radio audio signal. So you’ll need to use the headphone output, as far as I can tell.

– Bill

OK, I found a JVC RC-X510 Service Manual, which seems close enough. That model had a 3.5mm headphone jack, so that CMR-203 cable is likely what you need to connect the jvc to the Behringer.

You 2 are the best!!! I can’t believe how incredibly helpful you’ve been.

I am ordering the 2 items now. I’ll let you know if they work :smiley: or if I need more help :neutral_face: !