Cannot open Audacity project

When I try to open a particular Audacity project, I receive the following message: Error Opening Project… Couldn’t find the project data folder: “Al Interview_data”. When I then click on “OK”, the next box reads "Import Project… Couldn’t import the project: Could not load file: “/Library/Application Support/audacity/SessionData/Al interview_data/Al interview.aup”

Any ideas?

Thanks. Everett

Which version of Audacity? (Look in “Audacity menu > About Audacity”)

I don’t know how you got the project there, but you will need to move the project “Al interview.aup” file, and its data folder “Al interview_data”, to a normal location, such as your Documents folder.
The “Al interview.aup” file should NOT be inside the “Al interview_data” folder, and neither of them should be in “/Library/Application Support/audacity/SessionData/”

What version of Audacity are you using?

This is wrong:

“/Library/Application Support/audacity/SessionData/Al interview_data/Al interview.aup”

The SessionData folder should be in “~/Library/Application Support/audacity” - note the “~” charachter.
The file “AI interview.aup” should not be inside the “AI interview_data” folder.

– Bill

Sorry, I meant to include that: I have tried with both my older version of Audacity and, just now, with the updated version 3.02. OS is Mojave 10.14.

So, how do I create a path that Audacity can follow? I have been using Audacity for years and have never had this issue before, but suspect it has to do with the macOS. I was probably on the predecessor to Mojave when the interview was recorded and now have Mojave on one Mac and Catalina on another.

The files got there because I tried creating the path that Audacity seemed to be looking for. So, the project and data folders should be under Documents?

And, if so, how should the path read… Documents/SessionData/Al Interview_data/Al interview.aup, as well as the data folder e00 and its subfolders?

The “.aup” file and the “_data” folder should both be in a “normal” folder where you would normally save work. For example, you could put them both into your “Documents” folder, or any other “normal” folder.

Avoid using system folders, or “cloud drive” folders, or any other “special” folder.