ECHO Echo echo

So I finally got my Roland TD-27 dialed in with Audacity and eagerly went to record. I wanted to record myself playing along to a song on my iPhone that is connected via Bluetooth to my TD-27 module. When I hit record on Audacity and heard the song and started playing, there was an audible echo in the headphones that made it very difficult to play along to. Although, when I played back the recording, it sounded fine.

Any suggestions/solutions?

Thanks,

By “audible echo” do you mean that the drums hits you hear in your headphones are delayed? That is what happens when you listen through the computer while recording. There is always a delay between when a sound comes into the computer and when you hear it in the headphones.

The solution is to listen to the output of the Roland (if that is possible) instead of listening to the headphone output of the computer.

– Bill

playing along to a song on my iPhone

Also transfer the song to your computer. This whole thing works better when Audacity has control of both the playback and the recording. If everything is holding hands, there are no timing differences and your overdub performance can arrive, first pass, in perfect sync. No sliding everything around later to match them up.

Koz

You may be able to get away with a simple overdub with three devices (music on the iPhone), but the process is addictive and the instant you try to overdub two passes, you’re dead. You can’t sing harmony to yourself or other variations using three different devices. Everything has to be on Audacity.

Koz

Thanks all. I will try these suggestions tonight.