File crashed, recording exist but no voice anymore all flat. Please help!

MAC OS BIG SUR version 11.1.
This is frustrated, anyone help me please!
I just tried to adjust the sliding stretch and then everything crashed. I force quit the program and came back again, at this moment luckily the voice still exist, but asking me to click 3 options. Then here comes the trouble:
I forgot which one exactly I clicked, but after clicked that option everything gone. The recording can still playback, but there is no voice, graphics are flat.
(the file was save when its fine, after the voice gone I closed the file without saving it, however it still “auto-saved” itself)
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 5.56.26 PM.png

Did you open up an existing voice file?

So you still have the original file, right?

How long was the show?

Was all this work on your computer local internal drives, or was some of it on network drives or cloud drives?

Koz

Its been about 3 hours. Yes I tried to open other voice files. They are perfectly fine, only this one. I clicked “continue without deleting orphan block file”, its flatten then. I didn’t save and quit to get it back, but it autosaved itself.

The original file is right there. It’s moving when I hit play button, but it flattened with no sound.

Yes I tried to open other voice files.

No. I mean that one. Is your job to open up an existing voice file to edit it?

Or did you announce a podcast and then immediately start editing it?

Which Audacity version are you using? Audacity > About Audacity.

Koz

I opened an existing .aup file to edit, then showed up 3 options

yes i tried to open an existing aup file, and I picked continue without deleting orphans.

i tried to open an existing aup file, and I picked continue without deleting orphans.

So you opened an Audacity Project, not a voice or sound file, and it was already damaged. “what do you want us to do with the orphans?” is never a good message to start an edit session.

OK, now back to this question.

Which Audacity version are you using? Audacity > About Audacity.

Koz

is there still a way to recover the damaged file?

audacity version 2.4.2

You should think about what you would do if the show never came back.

Open the AUP file in TextEdit and read it. Do Not save anything.

I expect it to look something like this. This one has been cleaned up for its picture, but the basic parts are all there. The red box is the place in the AUP file where it calls out the project name. That must match your AUP filename and the _DATA folder name.

It’s good digital hygiene to File > Export a WAV (Microsoft) 16-bit sound file of any recording you make before you try to edit, modify, cut, or do anything else to it.

Koz

Yes, looks like the same. But it keeps running, should I wait for it or force quit?
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 8.04.08 AM.jpg

But it keeps running

Which “it?” TextEdit? That’s not good news.

Force Quit is not a healthy place to be. It can reduce the stability of the Mac. Do you have to do that often?

If you do Force Quit anything, you should close everything and restart the mac. Don’t be surprised if the Mac takes a while to clean itself up before it comes back to life.

I’m out. We can wait for another forum elf to help.

Koz

no problem. Thank you very much for this help!

I am trying to export my recording to .wav.

which file should I use for exporting?. Should be text edit or audacity? audacity still doesn’t give a sound, and text edit im not sure how to do it.

TextEdit’s job is to display letters and words on the screen. It’s not a sound program.

The AUP file is a Project Manager text file. It tells Audacity, in words, how to make your show from all that stuff in the _DATA folder with the same name.

The _DATA folder isn’t music. It contains a bunch of tiny sound files that Audacity makes into your show based on the instructions from the AUP file.

If the coordination between the AUP file and the _DATA folder fails for any reason, or either or both become damaged, then that could be the end of the show.

Koz

You should think about what you would do if the show never came back.

How is that step going?

Koz

Thats right the _data folder doesn’t have any sound neither.
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 6.36.34 PM.jpg

Projname-Hilite.jpg
That’s where the AUP file lists the _DATA folder’s name.

You should be able to open the 1_data folder and find folders and AU files. Each AU file is a little sound file and should be about 6 seconds long. Open one in Audacity and it should play.

Any luck?

Koz

Thats right they (the_data au files) are as same as the original, no sound at all.

The au files carry the Project sound. Without those there is no show.

Koz