Partially lost data

Hello!

I’m new here, and I’m a very casual Audacity user, so I barely know how to use it…
I was recording some audio, and when I stopped the recording, the application froze before I could save anything. It stayed stuck for some time, and then got back to working and I received a message saying “Recorded audio was lost at the label location”, if I remember correctly. Now it looks like this :
Capture d’écran 2021-05-14 à 21.43.45.png
There are thousands of labels on a track named “désynchro”, and several parts are missing! I did some research on how to recover unsaved audio and found about the temporary data files, but I don’t know what to do with them… Is there a way to recover the missing parts of my audio and compile it back together?

I haven’t closed the application since, just in case it could make me lose data.

Help would be much appreciated! I really want this audio back. :frowning:

The labels indicate places where data was lost during the recording. They are known as “dropouts” or “xruns”. It’s caused by some part of the system not running fast enough to keep up with the audio data. Unfortunately the recording is most likely damaged beyond repair.

To prevent the problem occurring in future, try this tip from the Frequently Asked Questions: How can I prevent clicky recordings on Mac?

What version of Audacity are you using? What version of macOS? What Mac?

The audio is gone. It was not recorded.

See this FAQ in the manual. Note that on Mac, decreasing the buffer length in Devices Preferences may help.

– Bill

I’m using Audacity 2.3.2 on a Mac Book Pro with Mojave.
Okay… :frowning:
Thank you very much for the very fast reply !