Portable Settings

Help for Audacity on macOS.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on macOS 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Portable Settings

Post by kozikowski » Tue May 11, 2021 5:04 pm

See: Attached screen grab.

PortableSettings.png
PortableSettings.png (23.21 KiB) Viewed 48 times

That's from Applications on this High Sierra Mac.

I generally just create a new folder and install Audacity into it, full stop. I have a machine with 12 of those—all different versions. The only shortcoming I've ever found is when I need to find a specific plugin. That can be a career move.

This is the first time I've ever tried to include the Portable Settings folder. All the others either have the app and nothing else, or a full install with all the folders and files.

I did this one out of order. I installed 2.4.2 first, then 3.0.2 ... and then 2.2.2.

My 2.2.2 seems to have picked up all the settings and plugins on the system, and there's nothing in the Portable Settings folder. As a side issue, some of the plugins seem to fake out Add/Remove Plugins. They tell me they installed but they don't really.

What was supposed to happen? Do I really have to do this on a thumb drive like the instructions say?

Koz

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Portable Settings

Post by steve » Tue May 11, 2021 6:12 pm

"Portable Settings" should be inside "Audacity.app/Contents/"
In other words:
Audacity.app/Contents/Portable Settings/Plug-ins
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/pre ... l#portable
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)