Audacity not recognizing USB cassette player

Help for Audacity on macOS.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on macOS 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
kubaba
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Audacity not recognizing USB cassette player

Post by kubaba » Mon May 10, 2021 5:58 pm

Mac 10.15.7
Audacity 3.0.2

I have a Super USB Cassette Capture device plugged into a USB slot on my iMac. In Sound Preferences, the player is recognized, but in Audacity I cannot get it to "hear" the player. The device bar has all the correct info filled in. When I try to record the device info grays out. Normal? I cannot monitor the recording and there is no activity in the bar. And, of course, no recording.

billw58
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Re: Audacity not recognizing USB cassette player

Post by billw58 » Mon May 10, 2021 8:32 pm

First, make sure Audacity has permission to access the "microphone" (which includes any audio input device).

Second, these cheap cassette-to-USB devices are notorious for constantly dropping the USB connection on Mac. We've not seen anyone who has had success with them.

-- Bill