Can't hear Audacity via Bluetooth

For some reason, I can’t hear audio within Audacity through Bluetooth earbuds—either Apple AirPods or Jaybird X4s. I can hear all sorts of other audio from my laptop, but nothing from within Audacity. Content produced in Audacity and exported is completely audible, but not within the app.

Any suggestions/solutions?

MacBook Pro, OS 11.3
Audacity 3.0.2

Bluetooth devices are not plain headphones or speakers. They’re special wireless devices.

Go into Apple (upper left) > System Preferences > Sound > Output and see what playback devices are listed. Do that while your earbuds are connected and working. I bet there are more devices posted than you thought you had.

I have no idea what the wireless device is called, but I"m betting there is one and if you make Audacity playback device match, they start working.

Koz

Hi Koz,

Thanks for the reply. I figured out the problem, and it was right under my nose. In Audacity’s playback device box, I needed to select my AirPods, and not leave playback set to Built-in Output! I don’t have to do that with any other audio-producing source on my laptop, but it’s apparently required here.

However, even though I can hear now, there’s a great deal of chatter/static in the sound. This isn’t present in any finished file exported from Audacity, but is there inside the application itself. While annoying, it’s not a deal-breaker.

Thanks again,
Ken

See this forum post for suggestions: Re: static, pops and crackles using AirPods with Audacity 2.3.1 and MacBook Pro iOS 10.14.4