unwanted 2nd track and track not starting at zero

I have a MacBook (MacOS Mojave), and I need to know how to get rid of a second track even though I’ve indicated that I am recording in mono. Also, I need to get the track to start at zero again. I have clicked on the little green push pin and fixed both problems, but when I go back into the file later, the second track is still there, and it doesn’t start at zero. Someone said I should export it in mono. I don’t know where to do that. No one has helped me to permanently get rid of the second track or get it back to starting at zero.
Those are my questions. I would appreciate your help.
Thank you,
Sara Bartlett

Where did you “indicate that you are recording in mono”? In the Device Toolbar?

When does the second track appear?

Perhaps you could post a screenshot so that we can see what it looks like.

Normally that should look like a downward pointing triangle. I’d recommend that you leave it like that.

What happens if you click the rewind button “<<”, and then the green play button “>” ? Does it play the track from the start?

Who said that and why?

I noticed the second track when I reopened a file I had been working on before. The second track appeared then. I don’t know how I can accidentally switch to recording in stereo. I narrate books for Audible.com, and I never record in stereo. I set up recording in mono in the Device Toolbar. (Thanks for showing me where that is.) The second track appears above my mono track that I’m recording on. When I stop recording, I export the track to a Wav file. I get rid of the second track by pressing the green triangle and then click on “Split Stereo to Mono.” Then I delete the second track. That looks great until I open it up again. The second track is still there.

Also, since this happened when the second track appeared, I’m not able to get the track to start at zero. I also click on the green triangle, and that gets it to start at zero. However, when I reopen the file, it starts in the negative numbers again, and the second track appears again.

I’m a graduate of the ACX Master Class, and one of them said I should export the file in mono, but the place where I normally export files doesn’t have a choice to export in mono (just Wav, Mp3, or OGG). I thought I was doing that anyway since I’ve set it up to do mono on the Device Toolbar.

I will send a screenshot from my MacBook.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly,
Sara Bartlett

I apologize if this is a repeat. I couldn’t see my reply from before.
I noticed the second track when I reopened a file I had been working on before. The second track appeared then. I don’t know how I can accidentally switch to recording in stereo. I narrate books for Audible.com, and I never record in stereo. I set up recording in mono in the Device Toolbar. (Thanks for showing me where that is.) The second track appears above my mono track that I’m recording on. When I stop recording, I export the track to a Wav file. I get rid of the second track by pressing the green triangle and then click on “Split Stereo to Mono.” Then I delete the second track. That looks great until I open it up again. The second track is still there.

Also, since this happened when the second track appeared, I’m not able to get the track to start at zero. I also click on the green triangle, and that gets it to start at zero. However, when I reopen the file, it starts in the negative numbers again, and the second track appears again.

I’m a graduate of the ACX Master Class, and one of them said I should export the file in mono, but the place where I normally export files doesn’t have a choice to export in mono (just Wav, Mp3, or OGG). I thought I was doing that anyway since I’ve set it up to do mono on the Device Toolbar.

I tried to attach a screenshot, but I got a prompt that said it was too large.

Thanks,
Sara Bartlett

Does it look like this?

See here how to create a screenshot of Audacity: Screenshot - Audacity Manual

I’m sorry. I don’t know where “>>” Is the green button the one that is labeled “Play at speed”?

Yes, the screenshot looks like that. Thanks.

Yes, that’s what my screenshot looks like. Thanks.

Sorry I’m so thick. I found the rewind button. I clicked it and then the green button, but it still starts in the negative numbers. The track appears to be at zero. But when I click play, that’s when it skips back into the negative numbers.

Which version of Audacity are you using? (Look in “Audacity menu > About Audacity”)

It’s Audacity 2.3.3

I’d suggest that you update to the current “Audacity 3.0.2” (available via the Audacity website: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/)
Then “Reset Configuration” (in the “Tools” menu).

Well, I knew I should be updating my Audacity, so I will do that. Fingers crossed that that will help.

Thanks so much,
Sara

If you are still having the negative number issues after updating, it is possible that the audio somehow got shifted to the left. You can put it back by selecting the Time Shift Tool (F5), then dragging your audio track until the left-hand edge aligns with zero (a yellow guide-line will confirm when this happens).

Press F1 to return to the normal Selection Tool, press F1.

I haven’t tried selecting the Time Shift Tool. I’ll give that a try.

Thanks so much,
Sara B.

Hi all,

What do those of you who’ve gotten the latest Audacity think of it? Is it worth it to get it now?

Thanks,
Sara Moser Bartlett

Sara,

While a few users have reverted back to 2.4.2, most users who have upgraded seem happy with the new version.

I got some new equipment and a new portable Snap Studio for my closet. Things were going really well. My noise floor was between -56 and -59, nice and quiet. That was a few weeks ago. In the last couple of days, I hear a faint hiss, and my noise floor was -46. I haven’t changed anything. I did a noise reduction in Effect in Audacity, and that got it into a good range, but I shouldn’t have to do that. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks,
Sara Moser Bartlett