macOs Cataline 10.15.2 | Can't open a file

macOS Catalina 10.15.2
-Order of Events-
Starts right in the middle of editing a project.
Playback no longer has volume.
Can no longer save/backup the projects (CMND + S didn’t work all of a sudden)
Error message said disk might be full. So I moved large and unnecessary files to an external hard drive
No luck. Still can’t save project
New error message suggests I might need to download the latest version of audacity to open the file (thought I had the latest verison)
Closes program without saving new changes.
Re-downloads Audacity to make sure I have the latest version
Reopens program.
Another Error message (attatched)
Please help this was a big project.
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 2.20.46 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 2.27.57 PM.png

Someone else had problems with this…

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59395521/how-do-i-give-my-macos-app-permission-to-create-wal-file-to-open-an-sqlite-db

sqlite database problems?

Koz

Which Audacity version? 3.0.0 or 3.0.2? (look in “Audacity menu > About Audacity”).

If it’s 3.0.0, please try updating to 3.0.2 (available here: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/)

I’ve upgraded to the latest Audacity. Still no luck unfortunately.

Is the problem with one specific project only? What exactly is happening?

Yes the problem is with one specific project only

From my perspective, since it is only this specific project, I would salvage what I could and then toss the project.

Is it possible to save any of the project to a WAV file?

Is it possible to copy and paste any of the project to a separate Audacity window?

Do you recall which files you deleted?

A possible explanation for why the problem occurred:

While an Audacity project is open Audacity uses a temporary file (with a “.WAL” file extension) in addition to the project “.AUP3” file. If you accidentally deleted that .WAL file, then that would corrupt the AUP3 project file. Audacity automatically deletes the WAL file when the project is closed - it must not be deleted manually while the project is open.