Reduce static on voice

Macbook pro
Mac version 10.15.6
Audacity v: 3.0.2
Lavalier mic: Deity V.Lav

Hi there!

I’m new to recording and to Audacity so I appreciate all your advice.

I’m recording some videos using a lavalier mic. I don’t know why, but occasionally I get seriously bad static from my mic. I haven’t been able to figure out a pattern of when and why it’s happening yet.

In the meantime, is there any way to reduce the static? Or do I just need to rerecord? I’ve attached a clip so you can see what I mean.

I appreciate the advice! Thanks

Step one, we’re not going to fix that. There’s too much damage and it’s in many of the same tones as your voice.

How are you recording your voice? In detail. Plug the Deity into your Mac?

Did you plug the Deity into a radio transmitter system? That’s what it sounds like. You’re wearing a hip-pack transmitter, something happened to the radio pathway, and the microphone receiver lost its mind.

It’s also possible you have Too much Technology.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 5.40.51 PM.png
If you have a ratty connection, the connection management in the microphone may have gone bonkers. “OK, it’s Plug-In-Power. No, Wait. It’s…Ummmm. I can’t tell.”

Were you making a call during that? Was your phone on Airplane Mode? It just not a good idea to run a phone in the middle of a voice recording. Turn off WiFi, too.

Why a lavalier? Your voice sounds fine, but Lavs are normally used in particular jobs like you’re on camera for theater reasons and you want your voice to be perfect.

Koz

Have you checked the LR41s? Even though they are supposed to be turned off automatically, they don’t last forever. They should register about 1.5V, just like a regular alkaline battery. If they show 1.45V they are too low.

Also, you can try Noise Reduction. As koz said, it is not going to work well, but it might take out a tiny bit of static.

Step one, we’re not going to fix that. There’s too much damage and it’s in many of the same tones as your voice.

Ha ok

How are you recording your voice? In detail. Plug the Deity into your Mac?

Deity is plugged into my Macbook through the standard mic/headphone input. Video is coming from my cell phone on a tripod. Video is streamed over wifi using iruin webcam. Both Audio and Video go through OBS.

Were you making a call during that? Was your phone on Airplane Mode? It just not a good idea to run a phone in the middle of a voice recording. Turn off WiFi, too.

The phone was on do not disturb, but not airplane mode. I can use airplane mode next time. I’ll need to buy a longer USBC cord to plug my phone in if I’m not going to be able to use Wifi

Why a lavalier? Your voice sounds fine, but Lavs are normally used in particular jobs like you’re on camera for theater reasons and you want your voice to be perfect.

I’m recording videos for my business and I don’t have another microphone.

Thanks for your advice!