Rode Procaster dynamic mic loud hiss

Help for Audacity on macOS.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on macOS 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Rode Procaster dynamic mic loud hiss

Post by kozikowski » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:38 am

If you have the time.

This is a posting where I wrote about many common comments, suggestions, and tricks. You can ignore his specific problems, but between them I posted formal explanations of stuff we write to everybody time after time.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=116947

For one example, there is a tool called Noise Gate which seems to be a gift from the angels. It can remove the noise between words and sentences. There's lot of problems with it though, and if ACX catches you using it, they may very well bounce you for "overprocessing."

Good to know....

Koz

Ani365
Operating System: macOS 10.14 Mojave

Post by Ani365 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:41 pm

So the two clips are where....?
Hopefully the clips attached this time.
They're lower volume for the same voice, so the natural noise of the preamp or interface (all electronics make some noise) appears that much louder. No matter what you do, your voice has to be boosted enough to pass ACX. The middle standard, RMS, roughly translates to "loudness."
This makes sense to me, for sure. But I posted on Amazon and asked people who purchased the same mic about the hiss and they all said there shouldn't be a hiss, so that had me thinking there was something wrong with my equipment. Sounds like maybe there isnt after all?
So that brings us up to now and the insane popularity of the Shure SM7b. That's a very well made dynamic microphone and it sounds so much better than the messed up condensers that its popularity took off.
Do you think it would have less of a hiss than the rode procaster I'm trying now? I'm on the hunt for the right mic for me, so if this could work I might try it.
Make sure it's the volume you'd use for the performance. ACX's goal is someone telling you a fascinating story over cups of tea. Not yelling at you.
I find myself turning up the volume fairly loud for two reasons - 1. ACX always knocks down the volume for some reason, and 2. I really want to make sure I'm picking up and extraneous sounds, and I have to assume that there may be some people who turn their volume all the way up and listen to it loud. Not many, but some! I want to make sure the editing is good for people who do that.
For one example, there is a tool called Noise Gate which seems to be a gift from the angels. It can remove the noise between words and sentences. There's lot of problems with it though, and if ACX catches you using it, they may very well bounce you for "overprocessing."
I'd love to try it, I've heard about this. I just cant seem to figure out the right settings!
This is a posting where I wrote about many common comments, suggestions, and tricks. You can ignore his specific problems, but between them I posted formal explanations of stuff we write to everybody time after time.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=116947
Will take a look, thanks!
Attachments
MASTERED Clip.wav
(748.92 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
raw test clip.wav
(678.04 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
condeser mic sample.wav
(319.81 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:45 pm

I'm fascinated not by the hiss level going up and down, but by the wall power hum tone that's riding through everything, including the condenser microphone. mmmmmmmmmmm

You're in the US, right? What's the lighting in your studio?

I know the Official Forum Instructions have you posting three words in four seconds, but that's not long enough when we're trying to do critical analysis of your presentation. If you post in mono (one blue wave—thank you), you can record and post out to 20 seconds of WAV sound.

Please post the condenser microphone "clean," no processing and a lot longer. Two seconds of hold-your-breath and then read a portion of your script, book, or any other work you can read easily.

It may be easier to cure the condenser problems and you may not need any other microphones.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:49 pm

Do you think it would have less of a hiss than the rode procaster I'm trying now? I'm on the hunt for the right mic for me, so if this could work I might try it.
I think we should cure some of your studio problems before you write any more checks. You could buy an expensive microphone and make your noise problems much louder and clearer.

Koz

Ani365
Operating System: macOS 10.14 Mojave

Post by Ani365 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:25 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:45 pm
You're in the US, right? What's the lighting in your studio?
Yes, I'm in the US. Attaching pics of my lights, they're simple ceiling lights (and the fan is always turned off).
Please post the condenser microphone "clean," no processing and a lot longer
Attached. Let me know your thoughts.
It may be easier to cure the condenser problems and you may not need any other microphones.
I'm all for it, if there is an issue with my studio it's obviously bleeding into all the mics I've tried. I did return the condenser mic though for now so I could afford the dynamic mic, but am willing to return the dynamic and switch back to condenser, literally I'm just trying to find a mic that works for me and sounds high quality all things considered.

If you think the issue is a studio problem than there must be two different issues, if I'm thinking about this correctly.
One, there is an issue with the dynamic mic since the hissing is so much louder in the dynamic and not in the condenser mic when compared (though you said it would naturally be a bit louder anyhow due to the way they're made).
And two, there's also something you hear making a noise in the background of both clips.

I guess I need to fix both in that case. I did turn my heat completely off and shut off any other devices in my room and in the surrounding rooms, so I'm not sure what the noise could be. The heat used to be a major issue but I just started turning off the oil furnace completely during the duration of recording and I *think* it stopped kicking on.
Even if we can figure out the possible studio issue, any other thoughts on the hissing issue? The reason I think there's an issue with this specific dynamic mic setup is because i did use the exact same studio setup for both samples/clips - dynamic and condenser mics - and the background hissing/humming noises sound so much worse on the dynamic.
Pardon me if I'm repeating myself, at this point I've tried so many mics and run into so many issues my head is about to explode.

Thanks again for the help.
Attachments
20 sec condenser mic clip raw.wav
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
IMG_5441.jpg
IMG_5441.jpg (342.37 KiB) Viewed 152 times
IMG_5442.jpg
IMG_5442.jpg (341.26 KiB) Viewed 152 times

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:47 pm

-
"Fortunately, Bailey's father was a United States Senator."
-

Sorry. Got carried away.

Your raw reading is nearly perfect. I applied the Audiobook Mastering Suite, DeSibilator to get rid of the harsh edges on some of the words, and then gentle Noise Reduction because I'm obsessive.

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 4.06.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 4.06.25 PM.png (25.57 KiB) Viewed 136 times

These are the settings for the DeSibilator.

DeSibSettings 2021-04-19 at 4.11.46 PM.png
DeSibSettings 2021-04-19 at 4.11.46 PM.png (80.26 KiB) Viewed 136 times

And then Noise Reduction of the Beast.

NoiseSettings2021-04-19 at 4.12.05 PM.png
NoiseSettings2021-04-19 at 4.12.05 PM.png (81.73 KiB) Viewed 136 times

We should remember Noise Reduction is in two steps. Drag-select some of the room tone (that two seconds at the beginning). Effect > Noise Reduction > Profile. That's the last time you have to do that unless you change your studio* (see correction below).

All the tool settings are sticky and hang around unless you change them*. So the second time you apply them, it's...

Effect > Filter Curve > OK,
Effect > Loudness Normalization > OK,
Effect > Limiter > OK,
Effect > DeSibilator > OK,
Effect > Noise Reduction OK.

Aaaaaand. We're done.

Do Not miss any tools, add any in the middle or change the settings. The tools are all standing on each other's shoulders.

* I think Noise Reduction Profile hangs around after you close Audacity and open it again. I'm checking.....
It doesn't. See below.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:23 am

I'm trying some of the tuning tools as we do this.

For a slightly less crisp sound change the top number in DeSibilator (Threshold) from -12 to -15.

I never asked if you have the DeSibilator plugin.

desibilator.ny
(56.03 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Your Mac may try to add .txt to the end of the file. Right-Click > Get Info and peel .txt off.

Install it in Audacity > Tools > Nyquist Plugin Installer.

Then Effect > Add/Remove Plugins > Select it > Enable > OK.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:01 am

Word is in. Even though each tool setting is sticky and hangs around forever unless you change it, Noise Reduction Profile is "fugitive" and vanishes the instant you close Audacity. It forgets what your noise is. Next time you open Audacity you have to Select some Room Tone > Effect > Noise Reduction > Profile again.

Sorry. Is your head swimming yet?

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:02 am

And just to see if you like it. You can bump Desibilator Threshold up to -20 (dB). That takes a few more of the edges out of the speech.

DeSibilator isn't that old. It was posted Sept 2020 as an update to the earlier DeEsser. It's still settling in.

You may have seen reference to DeEsser rolling around. It's claim to fame is it sometimes turned harsh Essing into other errors like Effing and had weird muffling effects. Desibilator doesn't do that.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:07 am

I don't remember. Are you using Audacity 3.0.0 or 2.4.2? If it's 2.4.2 you can stay there for a while and get to a break point. Never update your system in the middle of a book.

If you're in 3.0.0, there's a New (and Improved) Audacity available. 3.0.2.

https://www.audacityteam.org/

Koz