Total Neophyte Needs Help Getting Started Recording my Tracks for an Audiobook

Help for Audacity on macOS.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on macOS 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
canfish
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Re: Total Neophyte Needs Help Getting Started Recording my Tracks for an Audiobook

Post by canfish » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:59 am

Hi Koz,

I'm working with a reputable audiobook production company, https://proaudiovoices.com/about-us/ ProAudio voices. I did write to my liaison, who's the owner of the company about the Zoom question and she hasn't gotten back to me. They're going to do all the production and editing. All I have to do is record. Only we're trying to record this book in two voices, hence the Zoom interface.

I'm going to set that aside for the moment until I hear back from her (I forwarded her the salient parts of your message). But in the meantime, my son, long distance from Boston, helped me get my headphones paired (Sony MDR-XB950BT so I can hear myself when I record. However, there's a lag of half of second or something and I can't imagine being able to record and hear myself back a split second later. Is there something I can change in the settings? Eli (my son) had me transport options to Software Playthrough. Was that correct? I notice when I go in there that overdub is also on. Is there a way to make the sound I hear in my ears simultaneous with my speech?

That's today's question.

Thanks,
Laura

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Total Neophyte Needs Help Getting Started Recording my Tracks for an Audiobook

Post by kozikowski » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:14 pm

Listening to yourself when recording is highly recommended. It helps even out your delivery and allows you to accurately control your pitch, emphasis and theatrical expression. You just can't do it through the computer. The official phrase is computer latency.

I call the sound coming out of the machine "one computer late."

You should turn off "Playthrough" in Audacity preferences and plug your headphones into your microphone, preamplifier, or interface. The Samson G-Track microphone can do this trick.

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.00.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.00.26 AM.png (193.76 KiB) Viewed 133 times

It's hard to see, but the headphones in this setup are plugged into my Behringer UM-2 (black thing on the left), not the computer.

Whatever you plug the headphones into has to support "Zero Latency Monitoring" or "Direct Monitoring."

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.05.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.05.10 AM.png (47.67 KiB) Viewed 133 times

It sends you your voice before it sends it to the computer.

A note about these pictures. I don't recommend using Apple Earbuds to monitor and those Sony earphones are terrible. They were all handy for the photo to illustrate the point. I'm going to look up your headphone model. Without being too egotistical about it, it's not the worst idea to post the model you intend to buy and we can tell you about the problems and shortcomings experienced by our forum posters.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:25 pm

This is entirely between you two, but I am curious how you are going to deal with errors. Have they talked about this? You're going to make mistakes and there are several ways to announce corrections and indicate where the mistakes are so they can find them later.

One note is to announce corrections right away while you're "in the moment" and not try to do it a week later.

If they have an accepted process for this, it's nice to know about it before you start reading. Not have them try and explain it to you the first time you fall over a sentence.

I don't care how you do it, it's pure theater management, but it's nice to be able to tell other forum posters how you do it. It's a Forum. Users helping each other.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:46 pm

I did write to my liaison
Are you going to liaise with them?

Imagine my surprise that "liais" is a verb.
Sony MDR-XB950BT
This one?

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.32.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.32.18 AM.png (64.17 KiB) Viewed 129 times

Did you save the papers? Wireless headphones are zippy and cool, but they're usually limited to listening to the computer (with the echo). Microphones, Preamplifiers and Interfaces don't normally support wireless. You have to plug in a wire to them.

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.44.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 7.44.53 AM.png (75.28 KiB) Viewed 129 times

Way down the list is the bass boost. Unless you're planning on listening to your bad self cuttin' and jivin' to the beats, that can be a problem. My favorite headphones do that and I have to remind myself that the thumping bass "isn't real" and nobody else is going to hear it.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:02 pm

There is a soft, fuzzy recommendation. The Movie Industry's Standard Headphone is the Sony MDR-7506. Find at least one pair on any movie set. This is David Greene, NPR-West wearing his.

Their claim to fame is a little odd. They're perfectly comfortable, soundproof, fold up for your runbag, etc. etc. You just don't want to sit and listen to a movie with them. They don't sound pleasant, but they will absolutely show you sound errors before anybody else can hear them. That's their job in production.

Several people on the forum like the Sennheiser models. My eH-150 headphones have that bass-boost thing and last I checked, are no longer made.

One of the senior forum elves has a Sennheiser model he likes.

Looking.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:11 pm

viewtopic.php?p=236079#p236079

Turns out one of Waxcylinder's requirements was size, so the large muff to snuggle up against your head isn't there. You need that fuzzy muff to help keep your headphone voice from leaking into the microphone.

And you thought this was going to be a simple "write a check and go home" problem.

What you're doing used to take three seasoned professionals. It still does, but you're it.

Koz

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by waxcylinder » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:26 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:11 pm
viewtopic.php?p=236079#p236079

Turns out one of Waxcylinder's requirements was size, so the large muff to snuggle up against your head isn't there. You need that fuzzy muff to help keep your headphone voice from leaking into the microphone.
My requirements were fold-ability for travel - I used to have some folding Sennheisers but replaced those a couple of years ago with a pair of Bowers & Wilkins PS3s which are excellent.
https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en-gb/node/866

I do still have my studio Sennheiser HD25-1 which are over ear and I really like. You see a lot of BBC OB folk using them.
https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/on-ear-dj- ... r2EALw_wcB

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

canfish

Post by canfish » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:08 pm

Yes, a bit too much information! Your input is appreciated but overwhelming. And hard to me to parse through.

At this moment, before I start purchasing new equipment, I'd like to see if it's possible for me to make the equipment I currently have work before I start purchasing more for this important but only one time project. The Sony headphones i have, the MDR XB9508BT and the mic, a SHURE MV5 (what my audio company told me to get) both have input and output jacks that would accommodate a cable running between them. I'm wondering if that might work and if so, exactly what kind of cable I'd have to purchase to tether them together.

Thanks all...

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:43 pm

Yes, a bit too much information! Your input is appreciated but overwhelming.
See:
What you're doing used to take three seasoned professionals. It still does, but you're it.

There's an additional layer of this as well. We don't, as a rule, recommend hardware and devices. Audacity is an audio editor. So the best we can do is post the requirements of the job and that post can get into the weeds in a hurry.
The Sony headphones i have, the MDR XB9508BT
That doesn't show up on a Google search.

????? Is the number right?

Koz

canfish

Post by canfish » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:46 pm

MDR XB950BT

I guess I can't see print that small anymore.