beeping noise coming up in recording

Help for Audacity on macOS.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on macOS 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Ani365
Operating System: macOS 10.14 Mojave

Re: beeping noise coming up in recording

Post by Ani365 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:36 am

jademan wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:10 am
Ani365 wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:16 am
Let me know if you have a recommendation, am at a loss!
So I have no personal experience with this issue, but until koz returns to this post, consider also that the problem could be in your computer hardware.

Consider asking a friend to bring over their computer (or, conversely, take your Solo and mike there).
Thanks Jademnan, I went ahead and tested my setup(s) on two old macbook pro's, note - they are old so they don't require a thunderbolt-3 adapter to the cable like my new macbook does.
Unfortunately the fan was too loud on both of them, and though I actually didn't hear any beeping it's entirely possible the fan noises drowned them out, so I'm really not sure whether the beeping was there or not.
I tried everything but couldn't get the fans to quiet down... like I said, old macbooks! Thanks for the suggestion!

Ani365

Post by Ani365 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:50 am

kozikowski wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:24 am

What other electronic "stuff" do you have around? What are you reading your script from?

I need to go back through the post and review what we did so far.

Koz
Thanks for the help! I would love for a crazy scenario as long as I can find out what's causing this...
If it's helpful, I'm attaching pictures of my setup(s). Maybe you'll see something in them that I can't?

The first three photos show my setup with the cable the Scarlett Solo comes with attached to an adapter.
IMG_5145.jpg
IMG_5145.jpg (726.66 KiB) Viewed 155 times
IMG_5144.jpg
IMG_5144.jpg (822.27 KiB) Viewed 155 times
IMG_5143.jpg
IMG_5143.jpg (281.88 KiB) Viewed 155 times
The fourth photo, shows the setup with the power hub added to the setup.
IMG_5142.jpg
IMG_5142.jpg (341.99 KiB) Viewed 155 times
Will attach more photos in the next reply.

Ani365

Post by Ani365 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:56 am

This is my setup using only the thunderbolt-3 to thunderbolt-3, and no other cables/adapters/powerhubs.
IMG_5141.jpg
IMG_5141.jpg (696.2 KiB) Viewed 154 times
And this is how I read my script.
IMG_5140.jpg
IMG_5140.jpg (289.64 KiB) Viewed 154 times
I've been doing voice tests every couple days with the same result. I'll go ahead and do another when I get a chance, sometimes my house gets a bit noisy and I have to wait until it dies down.

I was saying in another response earlier that I tried testing on a few of my old macbooks and couldn't tell if there even was a beeping noise because the fans were too loud on those old laptops.

Just to give you as much info as possible all at once - I actually purchased a brand new Scarlett Solo and tested it out the other day just to see if it's the Solo, and the same beeping noise happened.

Again, both the adapter/power hub method and the thunderbolt-3 to thunderbolt-3 methods worked fine for about a week or two before this suddenly started happening, not sure how or why, I don't think anything changed, but then again something must have!

Thanks so much, I'm dying to get this working again!

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:23 am

How's your hearing? As far as you can tell, it's normal?

Koz

Ani365

Post by Ani365 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:37 am

Good question - as far as I know my hearing is perfectly normal!

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:31 am

I skimmed back over the messages. I'm not clear how you're hearing the beeping.

Can you hear it by listening to yourself on headphones plugged into the Solo before you press Record in Audacity? You have the Solo set for Direct Monitor, right, so you can hear yourself and help set performance pronunciation, expression, and volume?

Or do you need to play the performance in Audacity after you make the recording to hear the beeping?

Koz

Ani365

Post by Ani365 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:25 pm

I only hear it in the recording after it’s done. I do have direct monitoring on and there is no beep before or during recording, only after when I click play and listen back.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:51 pm

Next time it starts doing it, make a recording with the tablet moved away from the microphone. Then put the tablet back. We are warned by some very learned engineers not to exclude any possibility, however remote.

I think you mentioned in one post that the beeping can change volume? Sometimes it's worse than others?

As far as you know, once it starts doing it, it keeps doing it? There's nothing quite as joyous as an intermittent problem.

The promise of digital computers was an absence of ambiguity. They either work or they don't. 1's and 0's. That's adorable. There is still ambiguity, but now it's balanced on a knife edge. If you wear your blue shirt on Thursday, your computer works fine. The developers have a phrase "Moon Phase Problems." That pretty much sums it up if you've ever faced one.

It is physically possible to plug your headphones into your Mac, right? Audacity > Preferences > Recording > [X] Playthrough (select). Your headphones should follow the Mac volume controls. Make a test recording and you should hear yourself at the microphone, but you will be late or have an echo. That's why you can't actually perform this way. **see next post**

You are now listening to your voice going into Audacity and coming back out again. It should be possible to hear the beeping in real time.

Let us know.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:28 pm

Missed one. You have to also change Audacity playback from the Solo to the built-in output.

Koz

Ani365

Post by Ani365 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:35 am

kozikowski wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:51 pm

Let us know.

Koz
Alright so, I followed your instructions and even turned up my gain to really make sure I was hearing everything loudly. When I monitored myself before recording through the "playthrough", there actually was no beep at all. The moment I hit record, the beep started and continued consistently the entire time I recorded and until I clicked stop.
So clearly, we can assume the beeping definitely has something to do with recording specifically... I attached a sample clip of just the beeping, and one a mic test following your instructions. Both were recorded with the gain turned up, no soundproofing in my room so there's a bit of an echo, and you may be able to hear my cat snoring, so bear that in mind... but you should still be able to hear a louder than normal hum in the background and the beeping in both samples.

As far as the beeps volume, i actually do think its been pretty consistent since I started this forum question. To be fair, I'd only been using this mic a few weeks and it's a new mic/setup, so it's not like I've been using this for ages before this started. But I did use it to record a bunch of auditions and a few children's books with no beeping, or if it was there it would have had to be really quiet or not noticeable, so, take that as you will.

Also, I did the tablet moving test as well and I didn't seem to hear a difference so I'm thinking we can rule the tablet out.

Let me know if you have any other ideas!!
Thank you!
Attachments
sample.wav
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
beep sample.wav
(665.77 KiB) Downloaded 5 times