beeping noise coming up in recording

Help for Audacity on macOS.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on macOS 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Ani365
Operating System: macOS 10.14 Mojave

beeping noise coming up in recording

Post by Ani365 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:03 am

Hi there,
I've been using the Rode NT1-A for a few weeks now with the scarlett solo usb and everything's been pretty much going okay (previously recorded an audiobook with the Blue Yeti) and am running into a problem.
There is a consistent beeping in the background (sample attached) that I only hear when I record that I don't think has been a problem before tonight. I've turned off wifi and closed all the programs I'm not using on my laptop, moved my phone away from the mic and everything. I genuinely can't hear the noise anywhere in here so I'm thinking it has something to do with the laptop (macbook pro) or equipment, though recording has been fine for the last five auditions (spread out over a couple of weeks.)
Any idea what could be causing the beeping and how to solve the issue? I can remove some of the beeping definitely, but other times after noise reduction its still way too loud.
Seems weird I can't pinpoint the source.

thanks for the help!
Attachments
beep.wav
(376.88 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Re: beeping noise coming up in recording

Post by Trebor » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:53 am

Ani365 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:03 am
Any idea what could be causing the beeping and how to solve the issue? ...
Much louder than the "beeping" is 120Hz from mains hum, (1st harmonic of 60Hz).
[Can be removed with a notch filter, rather than noise reduction ]

The faint beeping can be removed with MosquitoKiller4 plugin set on 8.

Ani365

Post by Ani365 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:11 am

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. How do I install mosquitokiller? I downloaded the linked .ny file but my computer doesn't know what to do with it.
Hopefully it works for the beeping. Still, I'd like to figure out what's causing it since the beeping is new as of today... I don't think I've done anything differently or changed anything but obviously something changed or the beep wouldn't be popping up now like this... Any help as to identifying the source would be helpful, since it's not coming from my room.

As for the hum, I wasn't concerned about it since noise reduction usually works, but I'll definitely give the notch filter a try if you suggest it over noise reduction and see how it works!

Thanks!

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Trebor » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:30 pm

Ani365 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:11 am
Thanks for the quick reply. How do I install mosquitokiller?
I downloaded the linked .ny file but my computer doesn't know what to do with it.
I don't speak Mac, so all I can do is refer you to the manual ...
https ://manual.audacityteam.org/man/nyquist_plug_in_installer.html
Ani365 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:11 am
Hopefully it works for the beeping.
The beeping is [was] the dashed lines ...

Original - 120Hz notch - then MosquitoKiller4 (on 8).png
Original - 120Hz notch - then MosquitoKiller4 (on 8).png (315.39 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/spe ... _view.html

jozo321123
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by jozo321123 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:43 pm

I have a UR22 mkII I have a problem with recording in Multitrack -Adobe audition, I record one microphone in tack 1. then I record track2, I turn it off first ... when I want to record track2 I also record track 1. even though it is turned off. So I can't record at all separate each separately-does not turn off my previous track still
Pleas advice me anybody

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:18 pm

@jozo321123

I think you'd be far further ahead talking to Adobe. This is the forum for Audacity, not Audition.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:26 pm

I'd like to figure out what's causing it since the beeping is new as of today...
That is USB leakage. You are listening to what happens when the USB digital data transmission leaks into the analog microphone.

It's most unusual that it's happening on a Mac and it's even more unusual it's happening to a Solo. That leads me to ask what you did to the USB service. Did you install a USB hub or splitter? Did you decide you needed a 25 foot or longer USB cable?

Do you have one of the newer Macs with no USB socket? How did you adapt?

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:52 pm

It's not straight, ordinary leakage. The computer's job is to send clean, well-behaved 5 volt battery up to the Solo in the USB cable, and it's the Solo's job to use the battery to run everything while it's amplifying your NT1a and driving your headphones and creating the digital audio stream to send back down the cable to the computer.

If there's anything wrong with the 5 volts, if it's weak or sloppy, it can be contaminated with the digital data right next to it in the cable. So far no great damage yet. The Solo uses the 5 volts, now slightly "dirty" to amplify the stunningly tiny analog sound signal coming down the wires from the NT1a.

Now you got problems because The NT1a super tiny analog voice signal is in the same electronics as the 5 volts with tiny noises on it. This is what that usually sounds like.

https://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/cli ... neClip.mp3

That's not the only pathway. You can have that 5 volt noise get into the Solo Phantom Power 48 volts that the NT1a needs to run.

Did you rearrange the cables or make any other changes? I think I would start by shutting everything down, and replugging everything. All the cables out and then firmly back in.

Note if anything changes. It's very handy to know if you did something and the noise got worse.

You're a Celebrity Unicorn. This usually happens to Windows users on affordable computers and USB microphones.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:08 am

Are you using a plain XLR cable between the Solo and the NT1a?

No adapters or other shenanigans?

Koz

Ani365

Post by Ani365 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:31 am

kozikowski wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:52 pm

You're a Celebrity Unicorn. This usually happens to Windows users on affordable computers and USB microphones.
Haha oh my gosh, I really don't want to be a unicorn in this case!!
So I figured it was something like this, though I could never have figured that out myself so thank you again for the help.
Yes, I am using an XLR cable (the one that came with the Rode) to connect the Solo and the Rode mic. It seems rather long. Is there a different XLR you recommend other than the one it came with?

I have a new macbook pro so no regular USB port. Only USB-C. I've actually tried hooking up the solo a few different ways.

One thing I've tried is using the cable that comes with the Scarlett solo and hooking it up to my computer with this adapter:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Seemed to work, but I also was having some issues initially when using the solo for the first time, where the solo seemed to be kind of coming in and out, meaning the green light was sort of blinking (gosh how do i describe this) - it didn't seem like the strongest connection between the solo and my computer so I actually added this USB hub to the mix to try and give the Solo more power: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1
I believe it worked fine.

I also bought a USB-C to USB-C to plug the solo directly into my computer, and I do believe it worked fine the other day.

If my memory is correct, both of those methods worked fine without the beeping. The other night when I was having trouble with the beeping I actually switched the cables and tried both methods and both had the beeping.

So to answer your question, yes I did try a few different cables (as described above). I think there may be something wrong with the solo because it seemed a little finicky when I first used it (I know, not very descriptive), it seeded like the connection was wavering when I plugged it into the computer, essentially.
However after trying the cable connections listed above it did work and I was able to get a bunch of hours of recording out of it, so now I'm trying to figure out what happened.

I have unplugged everything, shut everything down and restarted. Knowing the cable setups I've tried, do you have a recommendation for which cables are best to use (even if it's something I don't have, I can certainly buy it) or any changes that might help solve the issue?

Thank you SO much for your help. I don't think I could have finished my first audiobook without your help, you've given me great insight on other threads as well, again, thanks.

Ani