Project will not save or export! Help!

Hi I have a file I recorded yesterday and it will not save or export. When I try to close Audacity it asks me to save project but wont save project. I have tried to export, Save Project as and Save project. Im on Mac OS Catalina using Audacity 2.4.2

What do you mean “will not save”? Is the Save button greyed out in the Save or Export dialogs? Or is it that you cannot select those options from the menu? Where are you trying to save the project?
– Bill

It’s not allowing me to save and name the file. When I try to close the dialog says “do you want to save project?” and leaves it untitled. When I try to export it wont open another window to save the file.

So when you close your project, you see a dialog that says:

Save changes to ?
Save changes before closing?

You click the “Yes” button and you get a standard file-save dialog.
SaveDialog.png
In that dialog the “Save As:” field is empty and the “Save” button is greyed out.

Are you unable to enter a file name in the “Save As:” field?

– Bill

Im unable to even get that pop up. It’s not getting me that far.

Did this ever get resolved? I’m having the same exact issue right now

Please describe, step by step, what you do, and what happens.

@ StephaliciousD
I suggest that you start a new topic so as not to confuse the issue. Please ensure that you provide sufficient information to allow someone to help you
(see this guide to posting a good forum question: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-post-a-question-on-the-forum/23175/1)

I have the exact same problem with Audacity, cannot save, cannot save as, cannot export to any audio format, no popup window to save untitled files, please check my screen recorded video, and I need to have this file saved ASAP pleaseeee help

https://youtu.be/nddemhMmYVc

What version of Audacity are you using and what version of macOS?

I can’t reproduce this, but I notice you are getting the warning dialog about saving Audacity projects.

Do you have multiple project windows open?

You could try turning off the warning to see if that helps. Go to Audacity > Preferences > Warnings and uncheck “Saving Projects”.

– Bill

Are you using external, network, or cloud drives? The dialog window that normally opens right after that calls out the Destination and asks for other Export or Save information. If there is no destination drive, it’s damaged, or Audacity can’t reach it, you may get your symptoms.

I’m not sure how to fix that. I do everything through the desktop.

Koz

While your machine is running, File > Open and click on that middle window.

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 10.05.51 AM.png
It may show you all the drives you have available (and a lot of other stuff). I have one hard drive called Macintosh HD and my Mac High Sierra install is called “Jake.” That’s it.

No Clouds or other drives.

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 9.59.14 AM.png
Koz

No, I have closed all other projects except this one left on Audacity and that project still cannot be saved

No, it’s to my local drive… :cry:

Did you say whether you are running Audacity 2.4.2 or 3.0.5?

When I looked at your video, I noticed that you may be using an Oriental version of Mac. Is this true? It is curious, although probably unrelated, that some oriental versions of Windows have keyboard lockups.

Have you tried Tools > Reset Configuration?

Have you tried uninstalling Audacity? See: Install and uninstall apps from the internet or disc on Mac

Where did you download your copy of Audacity from? Did you use these instructions to install it: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_and_updating_audacity_on_mac_os_x.html