Starting help

Hi,

New to Audacity and need some assistance please. Have downloaded the software to my MacBook Pro with Catalina. Connected my turntable to headphone amp and then to MacBook. All switched-on, but absolutely nothing from Audacity.
Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?
Thanks

Does anything here help?
– Bill

Unfortunately, no. I did read over all of that before connecting. On the Mac, the input is showing as either Internal Microphone OR Sonic Stream. Tried both and still nothing at all.

How is the “headphone amp” connected to the Macbook? What make and model is it?
– Bill

Does Sonic Stream show up as an option when your headphone amp isn’t connected to the Macbook? And when it is connected, does it also show up as a Recording source within Audacity?
I probably shouldn’t even try to help, given my limited experience, but thought I’d take a stab since I’m doing a similar project. I went ahead & sprung for the Uphoria UM2, though. Once I got the right cable setup (which is documented on this forum if you do a search on my posts, haha) it was smooth sailing.

Headphone amp is connected to MacBook 2xRCA to single jack.
Yes, Sonic Stream shows up all the time for some reason.

Which Macbook Pro model is it?
– Bill

Yeah, I’m with Bill, if your MacBook is too new, the headphone jack is only an output. I suspect you’ll have to get the same thing I got, some sort of USB interface.

It’s actually an older MacBook 2014. Hope this helps…

Specs for the Macbook Pro 13" mid 2014. Same for the 15".

Audio

• Stereo speakers
  • Dual microphones
  • Headphone port
  • Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
    • Support for audio line out (digital/analog)

Note that there is no analog input. If you are plugging into the 1/8" jack, you are plugging into is the headphone jack.

– Bill

Thanks, Bill. So does this mean all of this is futile or is there a way around it all?

You need a USB-audio interface, such as the Behringer UCA-202 or similar.
– Bill