Audio and Saving

Hi all - I know this has been sort of covered on other threads - I’ve been scouring them… but I just don’t understand something…

When I record with Logic and save the project, it simply creates a folder (either ‘packaged’ within the project or as a folder with all inner folders visible) Inside either method, is an AUDIO folder with all your recorded audio files. The project then saves with all edit points and references to those audio files - but you can see them all. SImples.

But I just can’t see with Audacity, when I save a project, where the audio files are stored???

I want to be able to have someone else record on a project, save it and send it over to me to edit. But in the PROJECT file folder, is the audio even in there? I just can’t see it. Surely they don’t have to go and save every piece of audio they record as separate Wav (or whatever) exports???

Please can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks.

When you save an Audacity project, a “ProjectName.aup” file and a “_ProjectName__data” folder are created (where “ProjectName” is the name of the project).
The audio data is in the “_ProjectName__data” folder.
See also: Managing Audacity Projects - Audacity Manual

The next version of Audacity (3.0.0) will use a new project format in which the entire project is saved in a single “.AUP3” file.

[u]Audacity Projects[/u]

I want to be able to have someone else record on a project, save it and send it over to me to edit. But in the PROJECT file folder, is the audio even in there?

Yes, but your original “resource” files are not included.

Because of the way it’s structured it can be “dangerous” to move or share projects.

IMO - If you are recording it’s a good idea to export to WAV whether you make a project or not. A single-complete audio file (or multiple complete files) are harder to accidently mess-up… And if you’re working on a “big project”, maybe save WAV backups as you go-along.