Audacity on Big Sur

Help for Audacity on macOS.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on macOS 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Audacity on Big Sur

Post by waxcylinder » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:39 am

spanghew wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:48 am
So far, so good...except one problem: the playback indicator/bar used to move steadily across the screen regardless of how much I'd zoomed in. Now, when I zoom in, it "ticks" from point to point. This does not affect playback sound...but it means that I have less visual feedback of exactly where the playback is vis a vis the waveform.

Has anyone else noticed this?
When I am zoomed in a long way the visuals do get jerky - but then I see exactly the same on my Windows 10 Pc too - that;s just the way it is at extreme zoom levels

spanghew wrote:
And is there due to be an upgrade specific to Big Sur soon?
Ballistically no - but there is no reason for that as we ensure that Audacity runs on all three platforms anyway.

Peter
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

billw58
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Post by billw58 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:56 pm

spanghew wrote:
So far, so good...except one problem: the playback indicator/bar used to move steadily across the screen regardless of how much I'd zoomed in. Now, when I zoom in, it "ticks" from point to point. This does not affect playback sound...but it means that I have less visual feedback of exactly where the playback is vis a vis the waveform.

Has anyone else noticed this? And is there due to be an upgrade specific to Big Sur soon?
Right-click on the Audacity icon then select "Get Info" from the dropdown menu. In the Get Info window, check "Open in Low Resolution". Does that help?

-- Bill

Pascal07

Post by Pascal07 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:55 am

Bonjour,

Audacity ne fonctionne pas avec Big Sur quand je veux enregistrer la carte son, par exemple au moyen d'un logiciel comme sound syphon, ou Sound flower, Black hole....
Avez-vous une solution?

Audacity does not work with Big Sur when I want to record the sound card, for example by means of software like sound siphon, or Sound flower, Black hole ....
Do you have a solution?

the.artist.donaldb

Post by the.artist.donaldb » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:35 pm

The volume slider for for the microphone is not working in the latest Audacity update 2.4.2 for Big Sur. Btw, when I just registered to use this forum the drop down list does have Big Sur listed for the OS a forum member is using.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:34 pm

the.artist.donaldb wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:35 pm
Btw, when I just registered to use this forum the drop down list does have Big Sur listed for the OS a forum member is using.
I assume that you mean "does not have Big Sur listed".

I'm aware of this problem. It is not possible to insert it into the list above Catalina because it's an ordered list. New items can only be added to the end of the list, otherwise it will cause many registered user's profiles to display the wrong OS. The best I can do for now is to change "Catalina" to "Catalina or later". I'm open to ideas about how to solve this problem.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

billw58
Forum Staff

Post by billw58 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:00 pm

the.artist.donaldb wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:35 pm
The volume slider for for the microphone is not working in the latest Audacity update 2.4.2 for Big Sur.
What is your input source?

-- Bill

rjhook

Post by rjhook » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:07 pm

For a while now, I have been using Audacity successfully with a Focusrite USB interface with separate mic and instrument input lines. Yesterday the instrument line in stoped registering. But the microphone line continued to work and I could hear the instrument line in my headphone monitor. I thought it was an interface problem, but the problem does not occur when I record in Garage Band and set the input there to line 2. I have discovered that if I now set the Audacity track settings to stereo instead of my usual mono, I do get input from the instrument line, but the sound quality is crappy and there is an echo. The only thing that I can think of that changed before I started experiencing this problem was the most recent update to Macs Big Sur. I am not sure if that could be the problem or not. I would like continue using Audacity with my instrument recording tracks set to mono. What can I do?

rgnewsman

Post by rgnewsman » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:15 pm

I just updated to Big Sur and now all my audacity files that I had saved will not play. I'm running Audacity 2.4.2 and Mac Big Sur Version 11.2.1 on a 2.6 GHz Intel Processor.
Audacity will open the selected file, but there is no audio wave length; just a flat line.
Any idea how to correct this???
Many thanks,
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 2.01.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 2.01.15 PM.png (234.28 KiB) Viewed 657 times

OBillyHill

Post by OBillyHill » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:06 am

Hey there -

Like others, couldn't boot Audacity with my new MacBook Pro (M1) back in December, but recently came back to the forum and saw the new 2.4.2 is working,

I just downloaded it and it works great!

The only glitch I have seen so far, and if there is a place to report it please let me know, that my headphone through speaker jack do not work when using Audacity. As soon as a quit, or go to a different program, headphones work again.

If that's the only problem I have, I'm a happy camper.

Thanks for all that helped with 2.4.2!

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:14 am

OBillyHill wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:06 am
The only glitch I have seen so far, and if there is a place to report it please let me know, that my headphone through speaker jack do not work when using Audacity. As soon as a quit, or go to a different program, headphones work again.
Audacity directs its sound to whatever "playback device" is selected in the Device Toolbar.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)