Audacity on Big Sur

Help for Audacity on macOS.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on macOS 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Joshualine
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Re: Audacity on Big Sur

Post by Joshualine » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:16 am

Hi, have a brand new Macbook M1 Big Sur 11.2 and using Audacity 2.4.2.

No matter what I try and do Audacity will not recognise my headphones when plugged in (any brand, have tried multiple) yet the headphones are recognised fine in Music, Garageband, youtube etc. Also headphones not recognised in other music software - Mixxx for example. Can anyone please advise why this is? Will a future Audacity update address this issue? Also the blutooth isn't working with Audacity (but works fine with other software).

Any advice welcome, I largely bought this new macbook so as to use with Audacity! Very frustrating.

Many thanks,

jademan
Forum Crew
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by jademan » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:01 am

Joshualine wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:16 am
No matter what I try and do Audacity will not recognise my headphones when plugged in (any brand, have tried multiple) yet the headphones are recognised fine in Music, Garageband, youtube etc. Also headphones not recognised in other music software - Mixxx for example. Can anyone please advise why this is? Will a future Audacity update address this issue? Also the blutooth isn't working with Audacity (but works fine with other software).
Windows guy here. Make sure you restart Audacity after plugging in your headphones. Or simply do Transport > Rescan Audio Devices.

I hope this helps. :D

israelgonzalezb

Post by israelgonzalezb » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:28 pm

Audacity: 2.4.2
Issue: When opened, Audacity displays the splash screen but hangs and becomes unresponsive.

Hey gang!

I'm new to the board. I just started using Audacity more seriously this past week. A few days ago Audacity was running great, everything was good. I did not use Audacity for maybe a week or more until I tried today. The program won't open and just hangs. I went and deleted then re-downloaded the recommended version: 2.4.2. I installed according to the instructions, ie drag don't click to install, etc, but the program still hangs.

I don't know if it's something on my end or the program. The one big change I made when using Audacity last week was that I created a new audio device with iShowU Audio Capture. I attempted opening Audacity with that device enabled, and with just the standard headphones output device, but no deal.

I saved the dump file that Apple generates for a report if that will help. Thanks for your time!

GooberBunny

Post by GooberBunny » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:23 pm

steve wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:14 am
OBillyHill wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:06 am
The only glitch I have seen so far, and if there is a place to report it please let me know, that my headphone through speaker jack do not work when using Audacity. As soon as a quit, or go to a different program, headphones work again.
Audacity directs its sound to whatever "playback device" is selected in the Device Toolbar.
Came here looking for advice on this. The headphones are plugged in but are not listed in the playback device drop-down menu. (They are visible in the Sound mac preferences). Running Big Sur on an M1 MacBook Pro. Any advice?

billw58
Forum Staff

Post by billw58 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:17 pm

Plug in the headphones before starting Audacity, or do Transport > Rescan Audio Devices.
-- Bill

GooberBunny

Post by GooberBunny » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:00 am

Thank you! That worked!

Joshualine

Post by Joshualine » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:29 am

jademan wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:01 am
Joshualine wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:16 am
Windows guy here. Make sure you restart Audacity after plugging in your headphones. Or simply do Transport > Rescan Audio Devices.

I hope this helps. :D
Thanks, perfect!

SmeckoGeck

Post by SmeckoGeck » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:24 pm

I'm having kind of an issue with Audacity on Big Sur.

I updated my MacBook to Big Sur, downloaded the latest version of Audacity, and no matter what output device I choose, this warning message shows up.
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 12.16.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 12.16.41 PM.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 440 times
I had the same problem when I upgraded to Catalina, but I already forgot what I did beforehand to get any output device to work in Audacity again.

Does anybody know how to fix this issue of Audacity not playing back in the newest MacOS?

billw58
Forum Staff

Post by billw58 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:26 pm

Plug the headphones in before starting Audacity, or do Transport (menu) > Rescan Audio Devices.
-- Bill

SmeckoGeck

Post by SmeckoGeck » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:21 pm

billw58 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:26 pm
Plug the headphones in before starting Audacity, or do Transport (menu) > Rescan Audio Devices.
-- Bill
I tried both of those options, and they didn't work.